Friday 24 April 2009

When It Happens - Susane Colasanti

When It Happens - Susane Colasanti

Pages: 310
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: May 2008

Other Titles by This Author: Take Me There, Waiting for You

When you find something real, everything else falls into place…

Seniors in high school, Sara and Tobey couldn’t be more different. She is focused on getting into her first-choice college; he wants to win Battle of the Bands. Sara’s other goal is to find true love, so when Dave, a popular jock, asks her out, she’s thrilled. But then there’s Tobey. His amazing blue eyes and quirky wit always creep into her thoughts. Lucky for Sara, one of Tobey’s goals is also to make her fall in love with him. Told in alternating points of view, Sara and Tobey’s real connection will have everyone rooting for them from the minute they meet!

I had really high expectations for this novel because I’ve heard loads of great things about Susane Colasanti’s writing. I wasn’t disappointed.

The blend of romance and family drama reminded me of Elizabeth Scott and Sarah Dessen which is no bad thing! Lots of events in the book and feelings that the characters had will relate to so may teenagers out there. The split perspectives made is especially accessible because I was able to see both sides of the story.

Stories set in and around an American high school never fail to fascinate me. The characters lives are so different those of the same age over here in the UK. It really makes me want to be an American teenager for some reason. I said that to one of my friends and she gave me a really funny look, so it’s probably only me that feels that way!

When It Happens was a really great read that will appeal to fans of Elizabeth Scott and Sarah Dessen and I’m really looking forward to reading the rest of her work.

Sophie

8 comments:

  1. It sounds great! Thanks for the review.

    I wondered about being an American teenager so much that I wrote a book about it! ;)
    I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is so cute. I love Susane Colasanti's novels. They always put a smile on my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I need to read this! A Dessen & Scott mix sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look @ this: http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/2009/04/thunk.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds really good!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard lots of good things about this book too.. Good to hear some more good things! It's making me want to get it even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I've been wanting to read this book for a while! I'm glad you gave it a good review.

    I'm American, and I'm in 11th year. It's not too much different from the UK, I'd imagine. I have an English Teacher for my IT course and he's always talking about the UK, which is cool to learn about from him.

    You do a great thing by doing book reviews! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!