Monday 13 April 2009

I Was a Teenage Popsicle - Bev Katz Rosenbaum

I Was a Teenage Popsicle - Bev Katz Rosenbaum

Pages: 248
Publisher: Berkeley Jam Books
Release Date: 3rd October 2006

Other Titles By This Author: Beyond Cool, Wanted: An Interesting Life

I, Floe Ryan, was frozen - well, “vitrified” - when I was sixteen years old. My parents and I had a rare disease, and it was our only option until they found a cure. Now I’ve been thawed, and guess what, it’s ten years in the future and I’m still a teenager. And my parents are still, shall we say, chilling out…

So now my little sister is my older sister, and payback’s a beyotch. She’s making me suffer for every snotty thing I ever did. Try getting used to that…not to mention a new school, new technology, and a zillion other new things that happened while I was napping in the freezer. Luckily, I have Taz. He’s the hottie skater boy who used to make me melt before I was frozen. He was a Popsicle too, so at least we get to reintegrate together. But now they’re trying to close the Venice Beach Cryonics Center - with my parents still in it! Now that’s cold. It’s up to me to save the clinic and my parents - so I can finally have a chance for a somewhat normal life…

This book was really good. It was so unusual; I've never read anything like it.

The concept of being vitrified than brought back to life is something that could be common in the future which really freaks me out! The world after only ten years that Bev Katz Rosenbaum created was very different from now. Everyone had plastic surgery every six months and wore unitards. My mum told me they were like jumpsuits, I had no idea what they were! Does anyone know for sure? People got around on hoverblades which I loved, just like I want a hoverboard from Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series. I love the idea of flying!

This is a really great book to read to escape to, literally, another world for a couple of hours. I'm definitely going to read the sequel, Beyond Cool, when it's back in stock on Amazon UK but who knows how long that's going to be!

I hope everyone had a great Easter and ate lots and lots of chocolate!

Sophie

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really cool and different - I may have to add it to my list :)

    Hope you had a nice Easter too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I've heard mixed things about this book, but I might check it out now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!