Tuesday 28 April 2009

Dreamland - Sarah Dessen

Dreamland - Sarah Dessen

Pages: 313
Publisher: Hodder Children’s Books
Release Date: 14th November 2002

Other Titles by this Author: Last Chance, Someone Like You, This Lullaby, Just Listen, The Truth About Forever, Lock and Key (my review) , That Summer (02/07/09)

Unable to deal with the family fall out when her elder sister runs away from home, Caitlin finds herself withdrawing into a private world. A dream world where everything - and everyone - can be kept at arms length. And a place where her damaging relationship with her boyfriend, Rogerson, need never be faced up to or discussed…

There are very few authors who can compare to Sarah Dessen. I really do love her books. Dreamland was no exception; powerful, striking and heart-breaking.

The way that all of her books are interconnected by places, schools and characters from previous novels cropping up. Having read Lock and Key not long ago, I noticed that Rogerson and Dave from this book appeared in it a few times. The two main schools in the town were the same as well. There aren’t many authors that I can think of that do this, but I think it’s very cool to be able to catch up on old characters. It makes them more real somehow. Now I’m just waiting to Wes from The Truth About Forever to pop up again! He’s my favourite of Sarah Dessen’s guy characters.

Sarah Dessen handled Caitlin and Rogerson’s relationship beautifully. It was scary how seemingly unimportant and subtle the events were that changed their relationship and each other completely. The instances in themselves were hardly noticeable until they culminated in, well, everyone who has read it knows what happens, and if you haven’t read it, why not?!

At some points I had to hold back tears, crying at college isn’t cool, but I couldn’t stop reading. I can’t wait for That Summer to be released in the summer and if you haven’t read Sarah Dessen before, now would be the perfect time as Along for the Ride will be released in the US in June!

Sophie

8 comments:

  1. Great review!

    Sarra Manning and Jaclyn Moriarty have the same characters cropping up in their (non-series) books, too. I always love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to read this book! I think this and Keeping the Moon are the only ones I don't have. It sounds so good - great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny - Keeping the Moon is the US version of Last Chance. Just thought I'd let you know in case you'd read it and not realised!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds quite good. I read "Just Listen" and was reasonably impressed by it :)

    I might try another Sarah Dessen book. I saw Lock and Key but have never picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yessss I loved Dreamland. It was my first Sarah Dessen book and totally made me fall in love with her. I really like the UK cover, though (at least, I think that's the UK cover?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tearjerker? Hmm I really need to finish reading this then hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this book. It has such great meaning behind it. And I've never seen that version of the cover. It's nice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!