Friday 10 April 2009

Falling - Sharon Dogar

Falling - Sharon Dogar

Pages: 344
Publisher: Chicken House
Release Date: 6th April 2009

Other Titles By This Author: Waves

Neesha is afraid - haunted by the fragments of a nightmare about a girl falling, far away and a long time ago.

Just when the echoes in her head threaten to overwhelm her, a boy unexpectedly comes to her rescue.

Handsome and talented, Sammy finds himself strangely drawn to Neesha - but it’s only when they come together that they begin to realise why.

Are they falling in love or being pulled into the past - fated to replay a love affair that ended in blood?

Wow. This book was absolutely amazing. It was so powerful and engaging. Sharon Dogar's descriptions made the story come alive on the page, even the horrible events, and there were a few, were told so intricately and brilliantly that it was uncomfortable to read at times.

Some of the themes that the novel was based around were ones that aren't usually prominent in YA books. Sharon Dogar didn't flinch away from the harsh reality of the difference in cultures and how people live. It was eye-opening and something that didn't fit in with my view of how the world is now, maybe fifty years ago, but not now.

The flicking between two different stories, times and places was done effortlessly. Sometimes I barely even noticed, it was such a smooth transition. If you want to read a book that will take your breath away, Falling along with Sharon's debut novel Waves, fit that criteria perfectly. I can't recommend them enough.

Sophie

15 comments:

  1. Great review! I REALLY want to read this now, but I've got lots of books to read for review first. Noooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW, have to read this now. Great review!
    -amy :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review. I really like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought you might like to know that Sharon Dogar is doing an event at the Mostly Books bookshop on April 30th in Abingdon, Oxfordshire. More detailson the website at www.mostly-books.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome book!! I sooo totally loved it. The review's great, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just finished up wid d book....n blv meh guys......it was awsm......jus culdn't leave d book 4 a second either......n i was glued 2 it.....d characters ff Neesh n Sammy were gr88.....luvd dem.....a must recommend 4 all i wuld say....dis book is.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read it after this review!! absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a amazing book and i love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book is AWESOME! I've just finished reading it and honestly, I could NOT put it down. I could literally see evrything in my head. Definitely one of the best books I've read...xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm soo much in luv wit dis buk... for a second , i just think it rules twilight saga...
    .... cant stop reading this buk... kindda addicted to it... <3 it..
    nd the best part it , it is an Indian novel..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book is SO GOOD.
    SO GOOD.

    But I didn't really like the stereotypical portrayal of Islam. It's as though the author is aware that she's typecasting a religion - though she does cast in subtle antitheses, Neesh's family is rather backward, and it is this backwardness that weighs heavier in the reader's mind. Still, Dogar was effective in showing the human side to any love story; a side often overlooked by society.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading this novel; it was eye opening and changed my ideas on subjects like racism, which was one of the themes the novel was based on. It portrayed the harsh reality of cultural differences how the world is now then what it was before and described the circumstances of how they live and are treated.
    It changed my ideas from not knowing the seriousness of racism and how it can affect those like Neesh, who has a gift of healing and knowing emotions, and is labeled witch to her own people. I thought it was interesting that Sharon Dogar chose a theme that would not normally be suitable or popular for a teen romance novel. I liked the idea of twisting romance with political ideas like cultural differences and racism.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm from Romania and I'm reading this book now. I love it! The style is very natural, the story is beautyful. It is a 'must read' book. I can't wait to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got this book from my local library and litrally couldnt put it down. Its a brilliant book, Ive never read anything like it. Best book ive read, just bought it for myself of amazon, just going to read it over abd over.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!