Saturday 18 April 2009

Flightsend - Linda Newbery

Flightsend - Linda Newbery

Pages: 242
Publisher: Definitions
Release Date: 2nd April 2009

Other Titles by This Author: The Shell House, Sisterland, Set in Stone

Flightsend is Charlie’s new home, whether she likes it or not. Her mother sees it as a chance for a fresh start.

Charlie’s certain that the move to a remote, ramshackle cottage will cause more problems than it solves. But she couldn’t be more wrong. Charlie’s first summer at Flightsend proves to be a turning point for both of them. It’s a summer of startling self-discovery, it’s a summer that Charlie will never forget.

I loved this book. I expected a light, fluffy read but what I got was so much more.

Lately I've been reading lots of American fantasy books so it was really nice to be back in the real world of the English countryside. The setting of Lower Radbourne sounded beautiful and the perfect place to grow up. I've always wanted to live in a little village in the country where you can walk everywhere, so maybe that's why it especially appealed to me.

Linda Newbery writes in a way that you aren't really aware of the serious issues that are intertwined in her story. They are effortlessly woven in with style and grace that adds so many layers to the plot and the characters.

Speaking of characters, I loved Dietmar. The story of him and his father added a lovely side-note to the main plot that was huge surprise and really added dimension to the lives of Charlie and Kathy.

I love the cover of the book, but I don't think that it fits the main character Charlie in any way. The girl is all wrong and far too generic in my opinion, although I do think it's really pretty.

Sophie

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I agree that the girl on the cover doesn't look like Charlie, though I still like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, great review! I love the sound of the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds great! Good review!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!