Sunday 19 April 2009

In My Mailbox XII

This was started by the fabulous Kristi who was inspired by Alea. If you want more information check out her blog. All summaries are from the book jackets.

Season of Secrets - Sally Nicholls

On a wild and stormy night Molly runs away from her grandparents’ house. Her dad has sent her to live there until he Sorts Things Out at home.

In the howling darkness, Molly sees a desperate figure running for his life from a terrifying ,midnight hunt. He has come to help her. But why? And who is he?

Season of Secrets weaves the tale of a heartbroken child and an age-old legend into a haunting story of love, healing and strange magic.

I loved her first novel Ways to Live Forever so when Dad offered to buy me a book instead of an Easter egg I chose this.

Evernight - Claudia Gray

Bianca wants to escape.

At the eerily gothic Evernight Academy, the other students are sleek, smart, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn’t fit in.

When she meets handsome, brooding Lucas, he warns her to be careful - even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between them can’t be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart…and to make Bianca question everything she’s ever believed.

I can’t wait to read this. It looks so good and the cover is very pretty.

The Dust of 100 Dogs - A.S. King

In the late seventeenth century, famed teenage pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with the dust of one hundred dogs, dooming her to one hundred lives of a dog before returning to a human body - with her memories intact.

Now she’s a contemporary American teenager and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica.

I wasn’t sure I’d like this when I first heard about it but I’ve read such amazing views that I thought I’d give it a try.

Poison Study - Maria V. Snyder

Choose:
A quick death
Or slow poison…

Yelena has a choice - be executed for murder, or become food taster to the Commander of Ixia. She leaps at the chance for survival, but her relief may be short-lived.

Life in the palace is full of hazards and secrets. Wily and smart, Yelena must learn to identify poisons before they kill her, recognise whom she can trust and how to spy on those she can’t. and who is the mysterious Southern sorceress who can reach into her head?

When Yelena realises she has extraordinary magical powers of her own, she faces a whole new problem, for using magic in Ixia is punishable by death…

This book is one that I kept seeing in Waterstone's all the time and never buying so I decided to break that and get it.

Gone - Michael Grant

‘One minute the teacher was there, the next, he was gone. There. Gone.’

In the blink of an eye all the adults disappear in a small town in southern California and no one knows why. First a car crash; a house up in flames; then a complete communication breakdown…

Suddenly cut off from the outside world, those that are left are trapped, and there’s no help on the way. They must do all they can to survive. Chaos rules the streets. Gangs begin to form. Sides are chosen - strong or weak. Cruel or humane.

A new world order is rising, and, even scarier, some survivors have power - power that no one has ever seen before…

I don’t usually buy hardbacks. But this is everywhere, it was taunting me. And Amazon were selling it for £6.49, which is cheaper than a paperback over here, so I couldn’t not get it could I?

I had a really great week this week and I can’t wait to get started on these lovely books!

Sophie

16 comments:

  1. Yeah for Evernight. I hope you enjoy it, I thought it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great haul! Evernight was good. And I want to read Poison Study and Gone. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look really good. Have fun reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh and I thought I really liked the new US cover of Poison Study! That one is gorgeous. I'm not so much a fan of Gone's cover (it looks like an unfinished ARC IMO), but it's a GREAT book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh evernight and Dust of 100 dogs are great books. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy The Dust of 100 Dogs and Evernight. Very good novels!

    Season of Secrets has the best cover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeay!! for a great book week. All of those books have amazing covers. I really like the cover for Poison Study that has been the best version of it yet. D100D is a fabulous read and Gone will stick in your head long after your finished with it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard great things about Evernight and Dust of 100 Dogs! Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh great week! I really want to read Poison Study - I look forward to your review of that one. I hope you enjoy Gone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Evernight = Awesome Vampire Book! :D You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great load of books!

    I loved Ways to Live Forever too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dust of 100 Dogs looks really interesting. I wish I had a smaller TBR pile so that I could buy it and know I could read it within the next month. :( I'm excited for your review of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Evernight Series and Maria Synder is one of my favorite Authors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got gone recently too I can't wait to get a chance to read it!

    Season of secrets looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome haul. I got Evernight today.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!