Friday 1 January 2016

Never Evers, Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison

Pages: 268
Publisher: Chicken House
Release Date: 7th January 2016
Edition: UK paperback, review copy

Other Titles by these Authors: Lobsters

The school ski trip isn’t going to plan. Mouse has fallen out with her friends and Jack’s totally clueless about girls. But when a French pop star – who Jack’s a dead ringer for – arrives in the resort, the snowy slopes begin to get a bit more interesting…

Lobsters was one of my favourite books of 2014 so I was super excited when Never Evers arrived through my door. It lived up to my expectations completely!

Once again, Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison take a perfective each, split between Mouse and Jack and their friends from different schools on a ski trip in France. I loved the friendships in this book so hard. They all bicker, disagree, tease, egg each other on and make fun of each other, but they’re unfailingly loyal to each other and there’s genuine affection between them. The interaction frequently made me laugh aloud and I particularly fell in love with Connie and Max never failed to make me chuckle.

While there was a lot of humour with the interactions between the characters and classic comedy antics that are bound to appear on a high school skiing trip, there was also a healthy dose of depth. Just before the beginning of Never Evers Mouse is kicked out of ballet school for failing to improve and she's set adrift, unsure of what she should do about it and filled with fear about life without ballet. I really love her character arc over the novel, especially the way she handled Lauren (ex-best friend turned mean girl) in the end of the novel.

Never Evers is fresh, funny and the perfect read to chase away the winter blues.

Thanks to Chicken House for the review copy.

Sophie 

1 comment:

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!