Thursday 28 January 2016

Adult TBR: Part One


Over the last year I’ve really been trying to read some more adult books to mix up my reading and I've really loved what I've read so far.

I've also found myself falling in love with audiobooks which has allowed me to get around to some adult titles without feeling so guilty! Below are the first section of the huge number of titles I've amassed in paperback, e-book and audio.


Stone Mattress, Margaret Atwood
A short story collection by this incredibly famous author that I still haven’t read anything by…

Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
I read The Virgin Suicides early in January and I really didn’t enjoy it as much as I had expected to, but this interests me completely: a family saga centering around an intersex character.

Interview with a Vampire, Anne Rice
Another book I'm ashamed not to have read! After listening to Audible’s new recording of Carmilla and loving it, I really felt the need for some proper, old-fashioned vampy goodness.

After the Last Dance, Sarra Manning
Ah, Sarra Manning. She's one of my very favourite YA authors and I’m still a little new to her adult work, but this sounds gorgeous. Two love stories, one present day and one during WWII, connected by something mysterious. Gimme.

The Dumb House, John Burnside
This was all over booktube last year and I’m so looking forward to it. it’s meant to be extremely dark and twisted, about a man who locks his children away with no outside contact as an experiment about language.


The Bees, Laline Paull
This is a novel narrated by a bee. And it was shortlisted for the 2015 Baileys. Through in the gorgeous cover, complete with soft touch finish and I had to buy it. So very intriguing!

The Accidental, Ali Smith
Confession time: I'm a bit intimidated by Ali Smith. Luckily, Jen Campbell uploaded a video exploring all her titles and recommending a starting point. I was very relieved to have somewhere to begin!

The Thing Around Your Neck, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
I’ve really got into short story collections recently and this will also go towards my challenge to read more BAME authors. I have to say that I love the cover as well – beautiful!

Outlander, Diana Gabaldon
I love the TV series whole heartedly, but I really am intimidated by the sheer size of this… I really want to see how it matches up to the show and you can never have enough Jamie Fraser. One day, one day.  

Sexing the Cherry, Jeanette Winterson
I have quite a few of Winterson’s novels on my TBR as I loved Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit and Why be Happy When You Could be Normal?. This is a story set in the seventeenth century, and that’s actually all I know about it!

One of my 2016 reading resolutions is to read at least 12 adult titles and I've already read 2 so far (The Virgin Suicides and Carol) so I'm hoping I’ll be able to smash my target! What should I make sure I read over the next eleven months?

Sophie 

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog this morning (through a mistyped Google search - serendipity!) and had to stop to comment and say: you have to read Outlander, you have to read it soon. I love the TV series but honestly, those books. Those books! I read them when I was a teenager (way too young for all the sex scenes) and Jamie Fraser is STILL the man of my dreams 15 years later. You will love it, I promise. There won't be any surprises in the first book, because the TV show is very true to the plot, but there is so much wonderful character development. And the dialogue. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bees is on my TBR it looks really cute. I keep seeing it at the library but haven't borrowed it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!