Thursday 6 March 2014

My Book Boyfriends


The boys of YA are notoriously swoon-worthy and infinitely crushable. That means that every reader has a mental list of their dream book boyfriends. After watching Book Rat Misty’s video chat about them (below), I decided to share my own!


The First
Dylan from Diary of a Crush by Sarra Manning
I don’t remember ever falling for a character so heavily until Dylan. Tall, dark, moody, art boy Dylan. I’ve read that trilogy so many times that there are certain lines of description about this difficult, confusing, gorgeous guy that will stay with me forever, because sadly, Dylan is with Edie...



The Romantic
Jace Wayland from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
Jace, Jace, Jace. Sarcasm, wit, self-sacrifice and endless frustration; I think that sums him up pretty well. I loved him from pretty early on and shipped him and Clary even through the, er, difficult situation? Then came the letter he wrote Clary at the end of City of Glass and something he said I was forever his. It was this line that did it: ‘“There is no pretending,” Jace said with absolute clarity. “I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I’ll love you then.”’ *faints*

The Dangerous
Alex Fuentes from Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
It’s a cliché, but everyone is a sucker for a bad boy from time to time. Alex Fuentes is my bad boy of choice. With a trademark leather jacket, motorbike, tendency to swear in Spanish and a gang member to protect his family, yeah, he’s a winner. I love his sass and his attitude and then how different he is with Brittany.


The Real
Wes from The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
Every single Dessen boy, with the exception of Rogerson for obvious reasons, is wonderful and crushable and so real they’re impossible not to love. But Wes, with his artistic tendencies, games of truth to entice Macy, his love for his family and that scene in the library where he shows up some nasty girls on Macy’s behalf, he was a winner from the start.

The Classic
Captain Wentworth from Persuasion by Jane Austen
Oh, Captain, my Captain. Sorry, slightly wrong reference there but I couldn’t help it! There’s something about letters that gets me you know. Wentworth’s letter to Anne Elliot almost makes me want to cry it’s so beautiful. And it doesn’t hurt that he’s played by Rupert Penry Jones in one of my favourite adaptations.


The Hidden Heart
Prince Ash from The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa
The Winter Prince is inpenetrable, cold (heh) and hard to get to know, but watching him thaw (heh, again) over the first book made my heart melt (last one, I promise). I liked that it took Meghan a while to break through his armour. He ends up being fiercely protective and warrior-like. Mmmm.

The Slightly Too Possessive
Edward Cullen from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
I’m going to get a lot of stick for this one, and I don’t know if in reading it now I would have the same view of Edward, but when I read Twilight I fell hard. I don;t think I have ever been more involved with a series before. I’ve never wanted a fictional character so much in my life. The fierceness with which Stephenie Meyer’s characters stuck in my brain has so far been pretty much unparalleled. And so for that, Edward Cullen gets his spot.

The Tears
Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I don’t even know if I can talk about this one, you know. I’m going to keep it short: pretentious, witty and eloquent, Augustus Waters is a reader’s dream.

The Swoony Words
Noah Calhoun from The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve read this book that I picked up for £2 in a charity shop. I can recite entire passages from memory and though I’ve been unimpressed by Nicholas Sparks’ latest novels, this book alone made me but his entire backlist and I’ve pre-order every successive release. The romance, the heartache, the Southern gentility. Gorgeous.


The Tall, Dark and Badass

Dimitri Belikov from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
This fine specimen was an unexpected love really. As was the series as a whole to be honest! It’s actually quite difficult to pinpoint what’s so appealing about the 6 foot 5 Russian Guardian, but there must be a lot of somethings because there are few books that tore me up like the ending of Shadow Kiss did. The pain. There’s also the whole student/teacher thing which I’m a complete sucker for.


Who are your book boyfriends? Are you going to fight me for any of mine?

Sophie

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you over Prince Ash. I loved that it took a good while for Meghan to get through his icy shell and it was worth the wait.... love him! xx

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrian Ivashkov and Levi from Fangirl! And I agree over Augustus + Ash + Dimitri + Wentworth. Okay, I agree with you on all of them! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dylan, Jace, Alex, Wes, Edward... YES! I agree! I have too many book boyfriends to list, hehe. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!