Monday 10 May 2010

Kiss of Death: The Morganville Vampires - Rachel Caine

Kiss of Death: The Morganville Vampires - Rachel Caine

Pages: 348
Publisher: Alison and Busby
Release Date: 3rd May 2010

Other Titles in this Series: Glass Houses, The Dead Girls’ Dance, Midnight Alley, Feast of Fools, Lord of Misrule, Carpe Corpus, Fade Out

Claire Danvers has a few things on her mind. First of all is the laundry, which is now an unfortunate shade of pink. Then there is her boyfriend, Shane, who is never too far from her thoughts. Finally, there is her best friend Eve’s relationship problems. As if life as a student wasn’t complicated enough, Claire just happens to be studying in Morganville. A town run by vampires.

Trouble seems to follow Claire and her friends like a shadow and tonight is no exception to the rule. They must find the most difficult documents for a vampire to acquire; people passes that will allow ‘bad ass’ Morley and his friends to leave Morganville. But it’s proving incredibly problematic, and with the odds stacked against them, the biggest question of them all is…

Kiss of Death is book eight in the wickedly addictive Morganville Vampires series.

There is just something about this series that pulls me in. Kiss of Death is completely involving, darkly funny and action-packed as the rest of the series. I love, love, love them! In my eyes, there hasn’t been a less than amazing Morganville book and it astounds me that they still continue to get better and remain original after eight books. And, man, am I happy that there’s going to be four more!

And I know that I say it every time I review a Morganville book, but Claire, Eve, Shane and Michael are completely awesome. I mean, they could find trouble on the Moon, but I find that strangely endearing. No one but these four could be in more danger outside of Morganville. And yet they continue me with their bravery, loyalty and ingenious solutions to impossible situations. They work together flawlessly and would freely die for each other. And Shane, well you should all know how I felt about Shane by now. Hands up who wants to move into the Glass House? Yeah, I thought so.

As the first book set outside of Morganville, Kiss of Death has a slightly different dynamic to the rest of the series. Lots of Morganville regular sonly make brief appearances and so I found myself missing Myrnin, Amelie and even Claire’s triumphs over twisted Monica. We did get to know Oliver a little better, though! It was also strange that the action didn’t revolve around the Glass House. Strange in a good way!

So, after devouring Kiss of Death, I’m off to sit and rock in a corner until November when Ghost Town makes it into my hands.

For my 2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

8 comments:

  1. I'm finally picking up one the first book in this series soon! I'm always a little wary of series that have a whole heap of books to them- it makes me scared the story will die off and the writing quality will suffer- but eight books in and still going strong makes me even more eager to read them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I have it in me to read another vampire novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of this series, but am feeling quite tempted. Good to know that it manages to stay good throughout the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the cover. I need to read this series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just bought the first two in this series for my e-reader- really looking forward to starting them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to see another review on this one! I just polished this book off yesterday. While I LOVE the series, this one was just a bit off for me. Definitely not my favorite in the series. However, I still have high hopes for Ghost Town! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these covers!!

    I need to hurry the fudge up and read this series already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just finished kiss of death do you know if there is going to be another book after ghost town????????????????????

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!