Wednesday 26 May 2010

Della Says: OMG! - Keris Stainton

Della Says: OMG! - Keris Stainton

Pages: 270
Publisher: Orchard Books
Release Date: 6th May 2010

From Goodreads: Della’s over the moon when she kisses her long-standing crush at a party – but then she discovers her diary has disappeared...

When scans of embarrassing pages are sent to her mobile and appear on Facebook, Della’s distraught – how can she enjoy her first proper romance when someone, somewhere, knows all her deepest, darkest secrets?

Della Says: OMG! is the incredibly cute and sparklingly funny debut from Keris Stainton.

I really loved Della. She’s such a realistic character who responds to things pretty similarly to the way I do. Wear a dress. Do I have to? Boy of your dreams asks you out. Why? Will he try to humiliate me? Your diary goes missing. Completely freak out. And the bits that were taken from Della’s diary were pretty mortifying. Some of them are the types of things that you’re reluctant to even admit thinking about, let alone have them broadcast. I have to confess that once I’d finished Della Says: OMG! I hid my diary where no one lese will ever find it. Ever. And knowing me, I’ll probably forget myself!

Keris Stainton wrote a fantastic cast of supporting characters. Maddy with her boy dilemma; nasty Gemima; Della’s sister, Jamie, who I’d like to know more about and their really funny mum and dad. It’s unusual for a character’s parents to have such a starring role in YA and so I’m really glad Della’s did. The only minor niggle I had with them is how cavalier Della’s dad is about Della and Jamie’s sex/love life. I’m sure that my dad still thinks I’m about ten when it comes to this sort of thing and would never, ever mention it. Is that just mine?

Della Says: OMG! is a quick, fun read and I’m looking forward to reading more from Keris in the future.

For my 2010 Debut Author Challenge, 2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a fun read. I haven't read the book yet, but based on your review, I'm cringing on Della's behalf. Imagine having all your secrets broadcast. *shudders in fear*
    Will definitely give this a read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book looks like fun ! Amazing review !
    I went as far as not have a diary anymore for fear of someone reading it...
    Instead I invent imaginary characters in my head that I talk to, they're a fun bunch :-D
    *seeing psych nurses entering her room* um gotta go !
    Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review and I really enjoyed this book!
    I'm definitely with Caroline on the diary thing. But then I started writing books... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great review, I loved Della too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a lovely review, Sophie.

    Luisa - that's what I was going to say! Caroline - transcribe those imaginary characters and you've got a book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds so adorable! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to buy this but didn't. Might have to now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this book is sounds really good, cool review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you describe Della here - I think she sounds pretty similar to me too. (Especially the dress thing. If I could've got married in jeans, a t-shirt, and converse, I would've).

    I also love the premise. Diaries scare me. They're like an accident waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!