Tuesday 4 May 2010

Drawing with Light - Julia Green

Drawing With Light - Julia Green

Pages: 247
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: 1st March 2010

Other titles by this Author: Blue Moon, Baby Blue, Hunter’s Heart, Breathing Underwater

I’m on the edge of something extraordinary, and I can hardly wait for it all to unfold….

Everything is changing in Emily’s life. Her older sister Kat is just starting university; Dad and Cassy have bought an old house which will be their dream home one day…except that while it’s being done up, they’ve all got to live in a tiny caravan in the middle of a field. Then a throwaway comment starts Emily about her real mother, who left when Emily was a baby. Who was she? What was she like? Why did she go? Over the years, she has become the unmentionable in Emily’s family.

And as Emily pieces together a truer, fuller picture of her mother, she also embarks on a new relationship of her own with Seb, a beautiful boy with fine features and expressive dark eyes…

Drawing with Light is a soft and touching novel about family, love and finding your place in the world.

Julia Green has a beautiful writing style. Emily’s story is written in fluid, lyrical prose that perfectly captures Emily’s ever-changing emotions. I could really feel her journey through the novel as she began to wonder about her mother, decide to search for her and finally find her. It was lovely to read about Emily filling in the gaps in her memories and receiving answers to the questions she’s been asking herself since she was a little girl.

I loved romance between Emily and Seb. There were no dramatic declarations of love, life or death decisions or ever-present danger. And although I love these kind of relationships, I appreciated the utter realness of Seb and Emily’s. they disagreed fell out and said the wrong things. Though there was a strong connection between the two and a sense of silent support that clearly demonstrated their feelings for each other.

I really enjoyed Drawing with Light and I’m definitely going to keep my eye out for more of Julia Green’s books.

For my 2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one, I thought that Julia Green really got the excitement of having your first relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too, and I think your review sums it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking I need to branch out when it comes to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a lovely story, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds wonderful. I love how you've described the writing as 'fluid' and 'lyrical' - I really feel like I'm getting a sense of how this book reads. I can't wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one sounds awesome! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't actually read this one, but the cover is just divine!! Plus, I agree with Lauren, if the writing is fluid and lyrical then I need to get this book STAT!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!