Monday 31 May 2010

Dear Dylan - Siobhan Curham

Dear Dylan - Siobhan Curham

Pages: 196
Publisher: Author House
Release Date: 28th March 2010

Other Titles by this Author: Sweet FA, Frankie Says Relapse, The Scene Stealers, Finding the Plot

Fourteen year old Georgie Harris feels as if the summer holidays are over before they have even begun. Banned from going to the local drama workshop by her bully of a step-dad and her increasingly fragile mum she is consigned to six long weeks of babysitting her kid sister. Sick of feeling like the outsider at home and at school, she starts emailing the one person she thinks might understand; Dylan Curtland, star of the popular soap opera Jessop Close. And when Dylan starts emailing her back Georgie finally feelsa spark of hope. At last she has someone who really gets her, someone who really wants to help. But in the faceless world of email all is not as it seems…

Dear Dylan is a touching and emotional story of a girl finding a much-needed friend in a most unlikely place.

I must admit that Dear Dylan didn’t unfold in the way that I expected at all. And I’m glad it didn’t because I got something really special instead. The story goes so much deeper than the summary would suggest and upon finishing it I can definitely see why it has been nominated for the Young Minds Book Award. Being a part of the blogging community, I know how invaluable my online friends are, but this friendship really did change their lives which is completely amazing.

For a book written entirely in emails and coming in at only 196 pages, I got to know Georgie and her friends and family very well. I really grew to care for her and I have to admit that that’s extremely rare for me with books written in this format. The way that the emails are written exude feeling and personality.

Dear Dylan was something different for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

For my 2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

9 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by the fact that the story doesn't unfold as anticipated.... Great review !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I'm getting into books told in a different format. I'm very much liking the sound of this one. Great review Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a cute cover! Love the review Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this! Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the books longlisted for the Young Minds Book Awards 2010. Thanks for the informative review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like such an unusual book, and I like the idea of the email format. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great site and I have to congratulate you on the content.
    I appreciate it!
    Thanks a lot for a bunch of good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I might check this one out, Sophie. Neither of us has read a book written in the social media format so that will be interesting too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!