Friday 28 May 2010

Dido - Adele Geras

Dido - Adele Geras

Pages: 260
Publisher: David Fickling Books
Release Date: 29th April 2010

Other Titles by this Author: Happy Ever After, Troy, Ithaka

Aneas leaned forward a little and kissed her on the mouth. Just one swift, soft touch of his lips on hers and then he turned and walked a way.

Love can be deadly. Especially when two young women fall for the same man - one a queen, one her serving maid.

Elissa knows she is playing with fire, but she can’t resist. Queen Dido suspects nothing until one fateful night…Secrets are revealed, hearts are broken and as dawn breaks, a terrible tragedy unfolds.
 A passionate tale of love, betrayal and revenge.

Dido is a strong, passionate re-telling of a classic Greek myth that really captured my imagination.

I have to admit that I’d never heard of Dido before reading this book, and I’m rather glad because Dido is compelling and beautifully written by Adele Geras. I know that it’s a story that I’ll remember for a long time. But what really made me love Dido was the visits from the gods and goddesses. Hermes, Aphrodite, Hades, Hera and Artemis all meddled with, confused and comforted the characters throughout the novel, usually for their own amusement! And I actually knew what they were the gods and goddesses of! I was really proud of myself as other than re-tellings, my last encounter with Greek myth was history in Year 6!

The story of Dido, Elissa, Anaeas and many others is messy and complicated. Like many good love stories are! It actually reminded me a little of A Midsummer Night’s Dream with all of the characters loving the wrong person. Or should it be that A Midsummer Night’s Dream is like Dido? I mean, Dido's story must be around 2000 years old, right? Shakespeare’s plays are little kids compared to that! But, anyway, Dido’s plotline is incredibly meaty and once you can definitely sink your teeth into.

I also loved how it’s told over just one night with flashbacks to Anaeas’ time in Carthage. About a year and a half, I think. Because of all the different points if view, the same event was seen in many different ways and it really extended the story away from just Dido, Elissa and Anaeas.

I really enjoyed Dido and I feel that I’m definitely going to have to read Adele Geras’ other two re-tellings, Troy and Ithaka, when I get a chance.

For my 2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

9 comments:

  1. Great review, Sophie. I really adored this one, too. The visits of the gods and goddesses are so well done, aren't they? I hadn't really thought about the similarity with A Midsummer Night's Dream but I see exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this after reading Yours and Lauren's reviews...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, great review! I love your thoughts about this in relation to A Midsummer Night's Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! This was the first Adele Geras book I read, and I loved it. There's something about re-tellings that, like you said, capture your imagination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for this review! So glad you liked the book. Made my weekend to read this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I can whole-heartedly recommend Troy and I'm a little way into Ithaka and it is just as engrossing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like such and awesome book - I'm a huge fan of Greek myths so I will surely find some time to go out and find this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing review ! The book looks very interesting and I like the fact that you can learn a lot about mythology at the same time, I'll definitely be reading them !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting! (This is who the singer Dido is named after, btw.)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!