Sunday 9 May 2010

In My Mailbox 62

This meme was started by the fabulous Kristi who was inspired by Alea. Check out their blogs for more information. All summaries are from the book jackets.

For review:

Obernewtyn - Isobelle Carmody

In a world struggling back from the brink of apocalypse, life is harsh. But for Elspeth Gordie, born with enhanced mental abilities, it is also dangerous. There is only survival by secrecy, and so she determines never to use her forbidden powers. But they are not easy to keep hidden and their inevitable use brings her to the attention of the totalitarian Council that rules the land.

Sent to remote Obernewtyn, from where escape is said to be impossible, Elspeth must thrown off her safe cloak of concealment and pit herself against those who would resurrect the terrible forces of the apocalypse. Only then will she truly learn what and who she is…

I already have a copy of this so I’ll give it to my friend, Saffron, who tends to benefit from my double copies!

Numbers 2: The Chaos - Rachel Ward

Like his mum before him, Adam sees numbers - death dates in people’s eyes. It’s hard enough living with this terrible gift, but life is about to get tougher.

Adam sees that everyone around him has the same date: 1 January 2017.

Something huge is going to happen.

Something bad. But what is it? And what can he do about it?

I actually squealed when I opened this package as I loved Numbers. Thanks, Chicken House!

Losing It - edited by Keith Gray (ARC)

From Amazon UK: Melvin Burgess, Keith Gray, Sophie McKenzie, Bali Rai, Patrick Ness, Jenny Valentine and Mary Hooper - Some of today's leading writers for teens are gathered here in a wonderful collection of original stories: some funny, some moving, some haunting but all revolving around the same subject - having sex for the first time!

This has the strangest proof binding I’ve ever come across, but some amazing UK authors are in this anthology so hopefully it‘ll be brilliant. Thanks to Andersen Press.

The Last Summer of the Death Warriors - Francisco X. Stork (ARC)

The Last Summer of the Death Warriors is a novel about the big things we live and die for, and the people who make those things matter. Two teenage boys bound together in a story of death, revenge and the ultimate friendship.

When Pancho arrives at St. Anthony's Home, he knows his time there will be short: If his plans succeed, he'll soon be arrested for the murder of his sister's killer. But then he's assigned to help D.Q., whose brain cancer has slowed neither his spirit nor his mouth.

D.Q. tells Pancho all about his "Death Warrior's Manifesto," which will help him to live out his last days fully--ideally, he says, with the love of the beautiful Marisol.

As Pancho tracks down his sister's murderer, he finds himself falling under the influence of D.Q. and Marisol, who is everything D.Q. said she would be; and he is inexorably drawn to a decision: to honour his sister and her death, or embrace the way of the Death Warrior and choose life.

Thanks to Scholastic for this. This sounds really powerful and quite amazing.

Bought:

Infinity - Sarah Dessen (Pocket Money Puffins)

‘Lately, I don’t dream about Anthony. I dream about the roundabout…’

Sometimes it’s hard to make choices and decisions, and to know which way to go. Sarah Dessen’s touching short story is all about moving on, choosing where you want to be and finding a way to get there…

It's Sarah Dessen. ‘Nuff said.

Sophie

18 comments:

  1. The Obernewton cover looks really cool. I'm adding this one to the list. Hope you enjoy reading these books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to read Losing It - can't wait to hear your thoughts. And I love those Sarah Dessen covers. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of Losing It, but it sounds pretty awesome. And Numbers 2? Totally not surprised that you squealed. If it's half as good as Numbers it'll be terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa... your reads are looking great this week! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow some really great titles most of which are new to me. I just finished Marcelo in the Real World and loved it so I will have to check out The Last Summer of the Death Warriors. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some great books this week! I've been meaning to read Numbers for ages, but I haven't got round to it. I read "Ashling" last summer, one of the other books in the series, but I hadn't read the others so I didn't really get it. I'll read the first few books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, I so want to read Losing It! That book would be fantastic! So lucky! Happy Reading, and I look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Infinity looks good and so does Numbers 2. Enjoy reading ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go The Chaos!! I'm so jealous! And Infinity! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh ... I am coveting the books you got. :-) I loved Francesco X. Stork's other YA novel, Marcelo in the Real World, and I'm looking forward to this one. And I really like Sarah Dessen, but I'd never heard of Infinity. The others look intriguing too, especially Isobelle Carmody. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These all look like great reads. I heard Numbers is really good so hope you enjoy the second one too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow awesome books this week! Ahh I had no idea Sarah Dessen had a new book! Happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ace week! How good do Losing It/Death Warriors look? I can't wait to get to them. And the Nnumbers 2 cover is so lovely in person.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wait...Sarah Dessen wrote a short story!!!??? How on earth did I miss that??

    Anyway, great books! Obernewtyn sounds pretty cool! Hope you enjoy them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh - excited to hear what you think of numbers 2 - hope you enjoy them all:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look good! Happy reading! My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!