Thursday 22 October 2015

I am a book bigamist...

Up until a few months ago, I've been a one book at a time kind of girl, but I was buckling under the pressure of my TBR pile and decided to try and read books for the first LGBT Readathon as well as my review copies. And it worked!

Nowadays I read a review book, an audiobook and occasionally a non-fiction, a classic or something I've bought for myself all at the same time. It's now not unusual to have three books on the go at once! It's nice not to have to sacrifice my reading whims for review copies, which is something I've been doing for years and a habit I’m really trying to get out of.

Reading a variety of books and different formats is really helping to avoid or get myself out of reading slumps. I've suffered from them a lot this year – probably because I've read a lot more than usual this year – and switching between genres and styles really helps to jolt me away from a slump. It also makes me feel very efficient! Even though I may not finish a book for three or four days, but then I finish two or three in a day or two – it's rather brilliant actually.

I don’t know if my book bigamy is a permanent solution to Mount TBR, but it's working for me at the moment and I really like how much more variety there is in my reading. Not since I started blogging have I read as many classics, adult novels and non-fiction as I have in 2015 and I’m loving it. I've discovered so many favourites this year that if I had only read my review books like in previous years, I wouldn’t have read at all and that honestly makes me really sad. I would never have read The Secret History, The Song of Achilles, The Martian and How to be a Heroine.

I know reading multiple books at a time doesn’t work for everybody, but it's worth giving it a go!

Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!