Wednesday 5 August 2015

I Knew You Were Trouble, Paige Toon

Pages: 304
Publisher: S&S
Release Date: 30th July 2015
Edition: UK paperback, review copy


Life as the undercover daughter of a rock god isn’t going to be easy. How will Jessie adjust to her boring old life again after spending her summer living it up with her dad in LA? With tough decisions ahead (and not just choosing between two hot boys), can she cope juggling two very different lives?

Summer may be over, but Jessie’s story is just beginning…

I’m a huge fan of both Paige Toon’s adult and YA so it was no surprise to me that I loved I Knew You Were Trouble.

When we first met Jessie in The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson she was being introduced to a new family, a new life and a new Jessie all while dealing with the still-fresh loss of her mum. It had a very different tone to the second instalment and I was reading it differently too – it had only been two months since I lost my own mum and it hit a nerve. In I Knew You Were Trouble Jess has a lot more to focus on and she has lots of new challenges to face so her grief wasn’t quite as potent, but it was still there and it rose at unexpected moments. I loved that. It felt authentic and right. Grief in YA often disappears after a few weeks and it just doesn’t work like that; that’s just not the case in I Knew You Were Trouble and I was really, really pleased.

But as I said, Jessie did have a lot to get to grips with. Swapping an LA summer of luxury with Johnny, Meg and the boys for school, England and regular life has thrown Jessie off a little. She misses her new family and she can't really talk about everything that’s going on, until she’s outed to the press and suddenly everyone knows she’s Johnny Jefferson’s daughter. Her life changes once again and it’s suddenly difficult to move about her daily life. Jessie gets understandably frustrated at being hemmed in and constantly under watch.

When Jessie is whisked back to LA for her own safety, everything was thrown off again. I loved seeing Johnny being all adorable and protective and bonding with Jessie. Seeing them getting to know each other was really lovely, especially when they came together over their shared love of music. Johnny’s help with Jessie fear of performing in front of people throw her firmly back into Jack’s path – her summer romance from the first book. I really like Jack and I think he’s a lot like Johnny, and so does Johnny with I found hilarious. But then there’s sweet, safe Tom back home. Jessie’s struggle between the two boys felt as realistic as a love triangle could be. She has two different lives, on two different continents and she’s two different Jessie’s – it makes sense that there would be two different boys. Personally, I much preferred Jack because, well, he’s beautiful and in a band. I’m sold, but there’s definitely an appeal to Jessie for both of them.

I had a goofy grin plastered on my face for the whole time I was reading and I’m already looking forward to more from Jessie and the Jefferson’s.

Thanks to S&S for the review copy.

Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!