Saturday 30 November 2013

Blogger Interview: Lucy (Queen of Contemporary)


Welcome to something new at So Many Books, So Little Time! The other night I was struggling to think up interview questions for authors and offhandly thought that it’d be so much easier to interview my blogging friends. A few seconds later I (metaphorically) slapped myself on the forehead and sent out a probing tweet. The response was positive so I have a series of interviews with some of the best book bloggers around for your reading pleasure. Enjoy!

THE BASICS

Tell us a little about you and your blog

My name is Lucy and I’m the blogger behind Queen of Contemporary and Project UKYA. I also booktube (book YouTube, if you didn’t know!) at thebumblingbibliophile. You’ll most likely find me curled up in a very untidy chair, reading or plotting super secret ideas.

What inspired you to start up Queen of Contemporary?

I have to thank my friend for inspiring me to blog. Her mum is friends with one of the fab authors behind Girls Heart Books and she handed out bookmarks for Girls Heart Books one day at school. After visiting the blog every day for a month or two, I stumbled across their page with links to other blogs. I then found more and decided to start my own!

How long have you been blogging?

I’ve been blogging at Queen of Contemporary since April 2012, although it was first named Read, Write, Sleep, Eat! I’ve always loved creating websites, since I was around nine, but I’d never taken anything as seriously until I started my blog. I’ve been blogging at Project UKYA since September 2013.


BEING A BLOGGER

Do you remember what the first book you reviewed was?

The first book I ever reviewed was when I was 8, and it was Best Friends by Jacqueline Wilson. It was for school and I still have a copy of the review somewhere. It makes me giggle to read it back! I think the first review I wrote for a blog was either Fallen by Lauren Kate or Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.

What’s been the highlight of your blogging career so far?

Hmmmm…This is a hard one! So many amazing things have happened since I started blogging. The best decision I ever made was to hit the ‘sign up’ button on Blogger. To have people know me before I’ve even met them properly is so weird. Also, meeting so many amazing people, like authors and bloggers. I consider so many of them some of my best friends.

Your biggest book-related starstruck moment?

I got to interview Holly Smale and Andy Robb at the Bath Children’s Literature Festival and it was recorded. My face is a picture, because I really couldn’t believe it!

AND EVERYTHING ELSE

You juggle so many different projects, both blog-based and booktubing. How you do plan for each of them and keep everything fresh and organised?

Simple answer: I don’t. I am one of the most disorganised people you will meet. My mum will even back me up on that. I’m going to be honest here and tell you that I am addicted. I can’t stop planning events and projects, and every one has to be bigger and better than the last. It’s sometimes a big problem because I put so much pressure on myself. It’s quite unhealthy! That’s taken a lot for me to write that…

If you could only continue with one, would you be a book blogger or a booktuber?

I thought this would be hard for me to answer, but it’s really not. I would choose book blogging hands down. I love writing and reading, so add them together and it’s perfect. I love both, obviously, but blogging is my ultimate love.

Is there one contemporary YA novel that you’d recommend to everyone and anyone, regardless of genre preferences, age etc.?

A VERY predictable answer if you know me and you all may be fed up of me talking about this book, but it’s a no-brainer to me: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. It’s my favourite book of all time and I don’t think I’ll ever stop talking about it. It’s perfect for anyone who has an obsession or loves reading and writing. It also has a very swoony guy: BONUS!

Thank you so much for having me, Sophie! I’ve loved answering all of your great questions!


Thanks you so much, lovely Lucy! Queen of Contemporary is one of my favourite blogs and Project UKYA is a wonderful celebration of some of the best, and most underrated, YA out there. This girl is going to go FAR.

Sophie



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Sophie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, both of you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I don't know how Lucy does it all- so many projects at once and her blog is fab- she works so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'll go check her out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic interview of one of my favourite bloggers too :)

    Oh and I love your interview with Holly and Andy - that day was the highlight of my year!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!