Thursday 7 November 2013

Chicken House's January to June 2014 Highlights



Every six or so months, the lovely people of Chicken House send out a pack of gorgeous of the next season’s list. It’s a great idea and I love getting a sneak at titles, covers and release dates. As I looked through this time I was overwhelmed with how many of them I wanted to read, so I thought I’d showcase the 2014 January to June Chicken House titles I’m most excited for. Without further ado, here they are:

Feed, M.J. Holmes
2nd January 2014

Taken, frozen and eaten – this is the fare facing the human race from enemy invaders – unless fourteen-year-olds Lola and Patrick can stop them.

Fourteen-year-old friends Lola and Patrick are in desperate trouble – along with everybody else. Monstrous enemy invaders have increased their human raids. Those take face a terrible fate: like animals they will be transported, processed and eaten in a food chain like no other – unless Lola and Patrick can find a way to save them.

This sounds so different! And yay for UKYA sci-fi/dystopia!

Taken, David Massey
6th March 2014

When hope is all you have, survival is all you can fight for...

A young crew of five are toughing it out together, sailing around the world on a gruelling charity challenge. They are used to being pushed to the limit, but nothing could have prepared them for being kidnapped.

When they are taken hostage by a notorious warlord and his band of child soldiers, the trip of a lifetime turns into a one-way journey into the heart of the African jungle.

I really enjoyed David Massey’s writing style in his debut, Torn, so I’m really intrigued by this, even if it’s not usually my thing.

Where the Rock Splits the Sky, Philip Webb
6th March 2014

Where Megan lives it’s forever dusk: an endless indigo sky above a wounded land that’s slowly dying.

Ever since the ‘visitors’ came, the world has stopped turning. No one sleeps, everyone’s afraid. But Megan wants to know what’s coming. She’ll stop at nothing to save those she loves. She’ll ride across a forsaken wilderness to where the rock splits the sky to set the world sinning again – and discover what she’s truly made of.

If the first sentence of the summary is any indication of the writing in this novel then it’s going to be absolutely stunning. And that cover is gorgeous and striking.

Breaking Butterflies, M. Anjelais
3rd April 2014

Two teens are drawn to each other, promised to each other since childhood by their dreaming mothers.

The girl is sweet, empathetic and ordinary. The boy: brilliant, charismatic – and ill.

No one knows it yet, but he is incapable of feeling. Their relationship twists and turns to a terrifying climax about making the ultimate sacrifice...

I think this sounds haunting, tense and beautiful and I’m excited! This is one of the novels shortlisted for the Time/Chicken House Competition 2012.

Valentine Joe, Rebecca Stevens
1st May 2014

Rose’s granddad takes her on a trip to Ypres, Belgium to visit the graves of those who died in the Great War.

It’s the day before Valentine’s Day, but Rose can sense the shattered old city beneath the chocolate box new. And it seems that it can sense her too.

When she goes up to her room that night, she hears the sound of marching feet and glimpses from her window a young soldier on his way to the front line...

This sounds beautiful and will be a hot topic with next year’s centenary of WWI – and that cover!

Lobsters, Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison
5th June 2014

Sam and Hannah only have the holidays to find ‘The One’. Their lobster. But instead of being epic, their summer is looking awkward.

They must navigate social misunderstandings, the plotting of well-meaning friends, and their own fears of being virgins for ever to find happiness. But fate is at work to bring them together. And in the end, it all boils down to love.

I genuinely want to read this right now. It sounds perfect and completely my kind of book.

I don't know about you, but I am seriously excited about all of these! Which ones do you think you’ll be reading?

All details and images taken from Chicken House information cards and website.

Sophie

5 comments:

  1. I got this today, I found so many I want to read! Especially Lobsters, that sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of Valentine Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valentine Joe and Lobsters are the two I'm most excited for. Fantastic covers too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah! this blog is excellent I love reading your articles chicken houses Keep up the great work! You know, lots of people are searching around for this info, you can help them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. waoh..I got this today, I found so many I want to read horse feeders Especially Lobsters, that sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!