Tuesday 21 May 2013

Bite Size Books (3): The Prince, Paper Aeroplanes and Bridge




The Prince – Kiera Cass

Pages: 128
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: 5th March 2013
Series: The Selection #0.5
Edition: e-novella, bought

Synopsis
Before thirty-five girls were chosen to compete in the Selection...
Before Aspen broke America’s heart...
There was another girl in Prince Maxon’s life...

Mini-Review
I loved Prince Maxon in The Selection so I was really looking forward to reading about the girl before the novel. It wasn’t quite what I expected, but I loved seeing how difficult the whole competition was for him. The pressure on him and his loneliness only made me love him more and I’m now eager to get my hands on a copy of The Elite.

Witnessing Maxon’s first meeting with America and his first official meeting with the rest of the girls was unexpected and I really enjoyed seeing his first impressions of her. I finished reading championing America and Maxon even more than I already did. The Prince is a lovely teaser for fans of the first book waiting for the second and to whet people’s appetite to start the series.

Paper Aeroplanes – Dawn O’Porter

Pages: 258
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Release Date: 2nd May 2013
Edition: UK proof, review copy

I just can’t imagine me without you...

It’s the mid-1990s, and Guernsey teenagers Renée and Flo are not really meant to be friends. But extroverted Renée and introspective Flo are united by loneliness and their dysfunctional families, and an intense bond is formed. Fifteen is an age when anything can happen, where life stretches out before you, and when every betrayal feels like the end of the world. For Renée and Flo it is the time of their lives.

I was really quite disappointed by Paper Aeroplanes. I had heard from other bloggers that it was a breathtakingly realistic look at friendship and being a teenager and it was. I just think it went a little too far for me. Most of the characters were horrible and miserable and instead of coming across as gritty realism, it was depressing. It was emotionally exhausting, but not in a good way, and I found myself reliving my miserable secondary school days.

Even though I wasn’t keen on the actual plot, I loved Dawn O’Porter’s writing style. Frank, sharp and completely on point, it was very British and it worked with Flo and Renée’s story perfectly. I was so relieved to see a positive ending and certain characters get their comeuppance, though I didn’t think this quite reflected the honesty and truth in the misery of being a teengaer, though that could be more personal experience clouding my judgement!

On Dawn O’Porter’s writing alone, I’ll definitely give her next novel a go; I just hope it’s a little lighter!


The Bridge – Jeri Smith-Ready

Pages: -
Publisher: Curtis Brown Digital
Release Date: 22nd April 2013
Series: Shade #2.5
Edition: e-novella, bought

Synopsis
Logan is barely seventeen, and barely dead. To find eternal rest, the ghost rock star must make peace with his brother Mickey, before his guilt over Logan’s death drives him to suicide.

Krista sees ghosts everywhere, but never the one she needs most. A chance boardwalk encounter with Logan turns her Senior Week party into a rescue mission. Can her own grief give her the strength to save Mickey’s life?

Mini-Review
Bridge is told like a prose poem or even song lyrics and I was very surprised at first, but I really enjoyed the form. Logan’s voice came through loud and clear and it was lovely to be back with him – I’ve missed the Shade series since it ended last year!

It was very emotional and Mickey breaks my heart, though I didn’t cry like I had expected to. I think it may have had more of an impact on me if I had read it in sequence and not known how everything would end in Shine. Nonetheless, it was a really enjoyable snippet of the Keeley Brothers for fans of the series!

Sophie


2 comments:

  1. I loved The Prince, too! I have a soft spot for Maxon. He's adorable! Lovely reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really interesting to see a negative review of Paper Aeroplanes as all the others I've seen have been so positive. I totally get what you're saying though, sometimes you just want a character to be happy.

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!