Wednesday 4 March 2009

Inkheart - Cornelia Funke

Inkheart - Cornelia Funke

Pages: 543
Publishers: Chicken House
Release Date: 7th June 2004

Other Titles in This Series: Inkspell and Inkdeath

Dare to read it aloud…

Meggie loves stories, but her father, Mo, hasn’t read aloud to her since her mother mysteriously disappeared.

When a stranger knocks at their door, Mo is forced to reveal an extraordinary secret - when he reads aloud, words come alive, and dangerous characters step out of the pages.

Suddenly, Meggie is living the kind of adventure she has only read in books. But this one will change her life forever.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this when I started it because I tried to read it a couple of years ago and only read half of it and can't remember why. But I was pleasantly surprised.

I loved the constant references to classic children's stories and the way that Meggie, Mo and Elinor talked about their books. The fact that the entire book was centred around a book may have helped too!

My favourite character was Elinor because I really wanted to live in her house! I have a thing for big, old manor houses and any book lover would be jealous of her books and library.

I didn't like it enough to rush out and but Inkspell and Inkdeath, but I will read them at some point to see how Meggie's story ends.

Sophie

2 comments:

  1. Great review Sophie! I saw the movie, and enjoyed that, so I'll read the book one day. Did you see it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. prophecygirl - No, I didn't; I wanted to read the book first. But I will see it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!