Monday 9 March 2009

Cracked Up To Be - Courtney Summers

Cracked Up To Be - Courtney Summers

Pages: 214
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: 2nd February 2009

What’s the worst thing you’ve ever done?

When “perfect” Parker Fadley starts drinking at school and failing her classes, all of St. Peter’s High goes on alert. How has the cheerleading captain, girlfriend of the most popular guy in school, consummate teacher’s pet, and future valedictorian fallen so far from grace?

Parker doesn’t want to talk about it. She’d just like to be left alone, to disappear, to be ignored. But her parents have placed her on suicide watch and her counsellors are demanding the truth. Worse, there’s a nice guy falling in love with her and he’s making her feel things again when she’d rather not be feeling anything at all.

Nobody would have guessed she’d turn out like this. But nobody knows the truth.

Something horrible has happened, and it might just be her fault.

Wow kinda sums up how I felt about this book. All of the glowing reviews made me expect a lot from it. It certainly lived up to the hype.

There was something that bothered me though. I really didn't like Parker in the beginning, even though her witty, sarcastic remarks made me laugh, especially when they were mean (that says a lot about me doesn't it!) I did grow to like her though. As more was revealed about what she was hiding I seemed to start to understand her more. She was a really great character that I'm not likely to forget in a hurry.

One of the things that really made this boo stand out was Courtney Summers' writing. It was sharp and concise, yet filled with emotion. I cannot wait to see what she writes next. In fact, does anybody know if/when she's bringing out another book?

Sophie

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this.. everyone says it's amazing. I wish there were more hours in the day! (or less work!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jenny! I really want to read this too. Maybe if days were like 40 hours long, I'd get everything I want to get done, done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jenny and Steph!

    Great review - I can't wait to read this either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you won something:

    http://tvandbookaddict.blogspot.com/2009/03/wow-wow-wow-i-won-award-d.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!