Monday 25 August 2014

Dangerous Boys, Abigail Haas


Pages: 336
Publisher: S&S
Release Date: 14th August 2014
Edition: UK paperback, review copy

Other Titles by this Author: Dangerous Girls

It all comes down to this. Oliver, Ethan, and I.

Three teens venture into an abandoned lake house one night. Hours later, only two emerge from the burning wreckage.

Chloe drags one Reznick brother to safety, unconscious and bleeding.

The other is left to burn, dead in the fire. But which brother survives?

And is his death a tragic accident?

Desperate self-defense?

Or murder...?

Dangerous Girls was one of my favourite books of last year so I was expecting equally epic things of Dangerous Boys. Eventually, I got them.

For the first part of Dangerous Boys I felt a little like I was reading the same book again. The basic set-up of the flashback narrative, the plot structure, the character types, the almost-unreliable narrator and the mystery felt repetitive. I was a little worried that this would be a rehashing of the first book, and I was really disappointed to see that premonition come to life. Thankfully, as I read on further, it evolved clearly into a separate story and the characters differentiated themselves clearly.

Outside of the expected mystery and unpredictable twists and turns there is the underlying issue of Chloe’s mum. After Chloe’s dad leaves to start a new family, her mum falls into a deep depression. She can no longer drag herself to work, shower or even get out of bed and Chloe takes on a second job and all of the responsibility. I loved how the insane pressure of this was also partly responsible for the crazy events of this novel – it wasn’t all on those very dangerous boys.

Dangerous Boys turned into a tense and addictive look into dark hearts, twisted minds and family power politics. I am really an excited for what Abigail Haas brings to the table next.

Thanks to S&S for the review copy.

Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!