Saturday 2 May 2009

Parasite Positive - Scott Westerfeld

Parasite Positive - Scott Westerfeld

Pages: 270
Publisher: Atom
Release Date: 7th June 2007

Other Titles by this Author: Uglies (my review), Pretties (my review), Specials (my review), Extras (my review), The Last Days

One year ago, Cal Thompson was a college freshman more interested in meeting girls and partying in New York City than in attending class. Then he met a girl called Morgan, they had a fun night together and she passed on a parasite that turns people into ravenous vampires. You know how it goes.

Cal himself is only a carrier, but he’s infected the girlfriends he’s had since Morgan, and it’s now his job to hunt them down before they can create even more of their kind.

I really love Scott Westerfeld’s novels. They’re so different and brilliantly written.

Once again I really enjoyed all of the biology that ran through the entire book. Parasites causing vampirism isn’t something that I’ve come across before and I have to say, it seemed very logical! It was very well thought out and researched which made it a world that was very easy to slip into.

There was constant action and it was very fast paced. It seemed perfect because Cal’s abilities kind of gave you an idea of the constant firing in his body and brain that the parasite causes.
All of the sewers and rats made me shudder and added to the creepiness of the New York City underworld. I also loved the way that Cal retained his humanity and still acted like a, if slightly superhuman, teenage boy.

This was a really great novel and I’m eager to get my hands on the accompanying book, The Last Days.

Sophie

8 comments:

  1. What an awesome review. Sophie, your reviews are not only informative -- they are fun, honest & fresh. Thanks = ]!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I need to read this soon.. I've had it for ages. Thanks for the review, it sounds bloody good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this by any chance called Peeps, in Canada and the US? Because I've never heard of Parasite Positive, but it sounds like what I know of Peeps.

    I think I may have to take out Peeps- you make it sound really good. I took it out before, but the cover creeped me out to much and I never got around to reading it. XD I'll have to give it another try though, since Scott Westerfield is a genius. Thank you!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome! Great review! I have an award for you over at my blog :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I can't believe I still haven't read anything by Scott Westerfeld - I am ashamed of myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard great things about Scott Westerfield. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LQQk @ this:
    http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-surprise.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alex - Yes, it is called Peeps in Canada and the US. You should definitely give it another go.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!