Monday 4 May 2009

Envy: A Luxe Novel - Anna Godbersen

Envy: A Luxe Novel - Anna Godbersen

Pages: 405
Publisher: Puffin Books
Release Date: 7th May 2009

Other Titles in This Series: The Luxe, Rumours: A Luxe Novel

New York City, 1900

In high society nothing is more dangerous than a scandal. Two months have passed since the esteemed Holland family’s shocking fall from grace and those watching the impetuous Miss Diana Holland are beginning to whisper again.

Further uptown, notorious cad Henry Schoonmaker and his new bride are the city’s most celebrated couple, but the glittering diamond she wears hasn’t yet brought her all she desires.

Manhattan’s most envied residents appear to have everything: wealth, beauty, happiness. But in a city ruled by reputation, sometimes the most practised smiles hide the most scandalous secrets…

Envy was absolutely amazing. I loved it.

It was so full of twists and turns that I never knew where the story was going take me next. The shocks and surprises just kept on coming and I was left reeling after the last page.

One of my favourite things about Envy, rather shallowly, was the clothes. The detailed descriptions of the girl’s beautiful dresses had me drooling and wanting to try them on and prance around in them for a while! However, they also made me laugh. The swimming costumes that Henry and Teddy wore, a tank top that finished in mid-thigh shorts, had me wetting myself with laughter. What an image!

Speaking of Henry, I love him! He’s a bad boy with a heart who is completely lovable. Henry is the type of guy that you watch from afar and try not to fall in love with but just can’t help it.

The only thing that bugged me was that some of the language didn't fit the time period at all. I mean, what high society man in 1900 says, 'I really mucked things up'? But that is my only complaint.

I really enjoyed Envy and I can’t wait to find out what happens in the next book, Splendour. I’m so excited to read it, it’s unbelievable!

Sophie

6 comments:

  1. I have yet to read "Rumours". But I will get to Envy some day :)
    It's great you enjoyed it (with the exception of some of the language).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I need to read this! And Rumours! I'm behind with my Luxe, lol.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you as always for the incredible review.
    I have been on the fence about this series ~ it depends on my mood. Your review has pulled me a bit over the fence. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellent series. Glad that you enjoyed it!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to check out this series.

    And not sure if you've seen this or not but I have an award for you at my blog. :D

    http://michelle-thebookjunkie.blogspot.com/2009/04/sunday-wrap-up-awards.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Envy and can't wait for Splendor! This series is addicting!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!