Thursday 7 May 2009

Ink Exchange - Melissa Marr

Ink Exchange - Melissa Marr

Pages: 313
Publisher: HarperCollins Children’s Books
Release Date: 2nd April 2009

Other Titles in the Series: Wicked Lovely, Fragile Eternity (28/05/09)

Images cluttered the page, but one tattoo set her nerves on edge: inky-black eyes surrounded by wings like shadows coalescing.

Mine. The need was overpowering. Leslie looked up. “This one,” she said. “I need this one.”

But the image is more than just tempting art, and it draws Leslie into a world of shadows and desire - into the world of Faerie.

This book was brilliant. Melissa Marr’s writing just keeps getting better.

It was great to be back in the world of Faery again. As I read Wicked Lovely a while ago, it took me a while to get to grips with faery lore again, but when I did, I didn’t want to leave! Melissa Marr writes in a way that almost allows you to believe in the darkly alluring world hidden from mortal eyes. Man, do I want to be a part of that world! I have no explanation as to why, I just do!

Melissa Marr’s skill at creating an extraordinary world extends to her characters. They are beautifully constructed and expertly portrayed. Leslie is inspirational in her strength and her desire to survive. She’s someone I’d want on my side. Niall is a complex mystery. There are so many layers to him and his story. I’d love for there to be a book from his point of view entirely so I can try and figure him out. And Seth. Do I need to say anymore? I’d like to read from his point of view as well because we didn’t see enough of him in Ink Exchange in my opinion. I mean, he can’t like Keenan very much, can he? He’s been thrust into Faery as well, I wonder what it’s like for him? But it’s Irial who really intrigues me. My opinion of him changed all the time I was reading and I felt that not even he knows who he truly is anymore.

Nothing is black and white in Melissa Marr’s world of faery. There are sides to take, secrets to keep and peaces to be maintained. Everything is complicated and intricate in a way that allows you to be swallowed up by the story and escape to a dark, enticing world where nothing is as it seems.

As you can probably guess, I loved Ink Exchange and I’m waiting on tenterhooks for the UK release of Fragile Eternity at the end of the month.

Sophie

8 comments:

  1. I have yet to read "Wicked Lovely" but I'll get there. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant review matey! I haven't read this yet... do you need to read it before Fragile Eternity? I thought it was more of a companion novel..

    I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, and at least there isn't long to wait 'til FE is out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an award :)
    http://anotherbookblogwhore.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-second-book-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing review! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so rockin' your reviews, kiddo = }.
    You got me w/ "As I read Wicked Lovely a while ago, it took me a while to get to grips with faery lore again, but when I did, I didn’t want to leave! Melissa Marr writes in a way that almost allows you to believe in the darkly alluring world hidden from mortal eyes. Man, do I want to be a part of that world! I have no explanation as to why, I just do!" Thank you, Sophie, for your descriptive words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this one too! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny - it is a companion novel but some big things happen that might have an impact on Aislinn and Keenan in FE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome review! I loved Ink Exchange, it's just amazing! Emotionally, I found it so difficult to read; I felt for Leslie all the way through. It was so sad.

    I reviewed this book too, and have posted a link to yours from mine.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!