Sunday 3 May 2009

In My Mailbox 15

This was started by the fabulous Kristi who was inspired by Alea. If you want more information check out their blogs. All summaries are from the book jackets.

The Sweet Far Thing - Libba Bray

It has been a year since Gemma Doyle first arrived at the foreboding Spence Academy and much has changed. Having bound the wild, dark magic of the realms to her, Gemma has forged unlikely and unexpected friendships with Ann and Felicity, and Kartik, the exotic young man whose companionship is forbidden. She has also come to an uneasy, tenuous truce with the fearsome creatures of the realms.

But the time has come to test the strength of these bonds. As her friendship with Felicity and Ann faces its gravest trial and with the Order grappling for control of the realms, Gemma is compelled to decide once and for all which path she is meant to take. Her destiny threatens to set chaos loose, not only in the realms, but also upon the rigid Victorian society whose rules Gemma both defied and followed. Where does Gemma really belong? And will she, can she, survive?

The Sweet Far Thing is the thrilling conclusion to Libba Bray’s elegant gothic trilogy.

I’ve finally got my hands on the last in the trilogy. I can’t wait to see what happens to Gemma next.

Envy: A Luxe Novel - Anna Godbersen

New York City, 1900

In high society nothing is more dangerous than a scandal. Two months have passed since the esteemed Holland family’s shocking fall from grace and those watching the impetuous Miss Diana Holland are beginning to whisper again.

Further uptown, notorious cad Henry Schoonmaker and his new bride are the city’s most celebrated couple, but the glittering diamond she wears hasn’t yet brought her all she desires.

Manhattan’s most envied residents appear to have everything: wealth, beauty, happiness.
But in a city ruled by reputation, sometimes the most practised smiles hide the most scandalous secrets…

I was so excited when I saw this I almost started squealing in the middle of the shop!

Wings - Aprilynne Pike

Laurel has always lived as an ordinary girl - but now something is happening to her. Something magical.

In this enchanting tale of magic, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

This sounds really good, although I prefer the American cover.

Stolen - Lucy Christopher

It happened like this.

I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him. This is my story.

A letter from nowhere.

The Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale

This is no ordinary fairytale.
The hero isn’t charming, the heroine is a brat.
And you certainly won’t guess the ending.

When a beautiful Lady refuses to marry the Lord her father has chosen, her father is furious. So furious he locks her in a tower with her maid.

But the maid realises there is something deeply sinister behind her Lady’s fear of the Lord, something which means they could be in more danger beyond the walls of the tower than imprisoned within them…

A spellbinding story of love, fear, courage, and one true heroine.

I got these two books through bribery. My dad said that he would buy me a book if I was up, dressed and ready to leave at 9am yesterday morning. I figured it was worth it and I was right. I ended up with two!

This week I also got a Mortal Instruments bookmark and a bookplate signed by Cassandra Clare from the fabulous Jenny of Wondrous Reads. Thank you, Jenny!

Sophie

7 comments:

  1. Wow, great books. I especially can't wait to read Stolen. I'll be keeping an eye out for the review. Happy reading! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books. And they all have really cool covers :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh brilliant week!! I loved Stolen, Wings & Book of 1000. And I have THSFT & Envy, but I haven't read them yet. Hmm.. bad me!

    Enjoy all these Sophie, and I can't wait for your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what? You've been tagged @
    http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/2009/05/tagged-again.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wings has a very pretty cover! Great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stolen sounds awesome!! and the cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some really great books, all of them are on my list of books to read. The cover of envy is so cool. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!