Monday 7 June 2010

The Sky is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson

The Sky is Everywhere - Jandy Nelson

Pages: 303 (ARC)
Publisher: Walker Books
Release Date: 7th June 2010

“I do not think this is how normal people mourn…”

When her fiery older sister Bailey dies, the air is sucked from Lennie’s world. Torn from the safety of her sister’s shadow, she finds herself taking centre stage of her own life and, despite a nonexistent history with boys, suddenly she’s struggling to balance two. First there’s Toby. But what kind of girl falls for her dead sister’s boyfriend? Then there’s Joe, the new boy in town, with a jaw-dropping grin. But how dare Lennie feel joy so soon? It doesn’t seem right that anything good can come out of Bailey’s death - does it?

The Sky is Everywhere is an extraordinary novel and I don’t really know how to put into words how I feel about it. And though its all probably already been said, I’m going to give it a go.

Jandy Nelson’s writing is unbelievably beautiful. Her prose is intoxicating and full of deep and complex emotions. Lennie’s intense, mind-numbing grief, overwhelming confusion and over-flowing love all collide in an exquisite and affecting novel. This mixed in with the head-clouding feel of summer from Gram’s garden and the beautiful town of Clover.

The characters in The Sky is Everywhere are wonderfully crafted and extremely easy to love. I’d like to have a Gram with her aphrodisiac flowers and willowy green women, an Uncle Big with his pyramids and serial marriages and the sunshine-filled Joe. And then there’s the relationship between Lennie and her sister, Bailey. It’s the kind of connection I wish I had with my sister, instead of arguments and competition. A relationship that only magnified Lennie’s feelings of loss. It kind of took my breath away.

But Lennie’s poems are equally breathtaking. They’re scattered throughout the chapters of The Sky is Everywhere and under each one it says in which obscure place in Clover Lennie left it. A huge love of literature is also displayed by the characters, though I’ll admit to only having read one of the classic novel mentioned, and it wasn’t even by choice.

The Sky is Everywhere is a spectacular debut and I’d recommend it to anyone and everyone.

For my 2010 Debut Author Challenge, 2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

12 comments:

  1. You know what I'm noticing? Death of a loved one is a recurring theme in many of the books these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to read this. I do have a copy for review but I've been putting it off. I'm not sure I want to read about grief but I love the sound of the poems. Beautiful review Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the paperback cover is SO gorgeous. Jandy Nelson has such lovely covers :)

    And this is a very awesome review. I agree completely, I'm in love with this book. The prose is just so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with everything in your review! Here's mine: http://librarylurker.blogspot.com/2010/05/sky-is-everywhere-by-jandy-nelson.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read this either this week or next. It sounds (and looks) amazing! Thanks for a fantastic review, and I'm glad it had such an effect on you. That's the sign of a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds utterly fantastic. What a fantastic review - I am definitely going to get myself a copy of this book this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The paperback is beautiful as was your review! Need this book like...now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just reviewed this today. This is one I know I will go back to again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I constently have my nose buried deep in a book and when I come across a book as compelling and spellbinding as this one I become oblivious to everyone and everything around me. Regarding the phrase "Never judge a book by its cover" I was compleatly surprised when I picked this book of the shelf at my local library. Normally I go for the kind of murder mystery and spy books but this book alone pursuaded me to journey to somewhere I had never gone before, the romance genre! Again I suprised myself by devouring the book, unable to put it down. It is stunningly writen and I envey the conection that Lennie and Bailey share but I also learnt alot from it.


    Nicole, 12

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just finished this one, still crying....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the sky is everywhere Jandy. Great book I relate to on many levels. Hard to find one as deeply special and groundbreaking as I'll Give You the Sun. Write more Nelson, please!

    Zia
    Heard about Reverse Mortgages Redmond

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!