Monday 28 June 2010

Sweethearts: Star-Crossed - Jo Cotterill

Sweethearts: Star-Crossed – Jo Cotterill

Pages: 253
Publisher: Red Fox/Random House
Release Date: 27th May 2010-06-17

Other Titles in this Series: Strictly Friends? (2/9/2010), Ice Dreams (3/3/2011)

‘You did WHAT?’ screamed Mari. ‘You turned down the cutest boy ever? Are you crazy?’

This summer, Fliss is playing Juliet opposite her dream Romeo. If only she could tell him how she feels!

But unless she finds some inner confidence, she’s going to miss her chance with him.

Because someone else has her eyes on Fliss’s role - and her leading man…

Star-Crossed is the great first book in Jo Cotterill’s very cute Sweethearts series.

First of all I have to confess my love for Romeo and Juliet. It’s the ultimate story of first, all-consuming, forbidden love and so the characters of this book being in a production of the play won me over before I had even opened the book. The portrayal of auditions, rehearsals and the final performance was detailed enough that I would know exactly what to expect if I was to take part in a play. And the passion that Fliss, Mari and Victoria have for acting is infectious; it’s how I feel about books, actually.

And these girls are so realistic with their emotions, doubts and interactions. Shy, introverted, but extremely talented Fliss and loud and confrontational Mari and horrible Samantha were very much like typical high school girls. I really, really dislike girls like Samantha. Really, really. Victoria is the only character that I feel wasn’t fleshed out too well. I mean, we learned that she was rich and a terrible actress, but I never felt that I knew her. Fliss’ mum, Jeanette, also has to get a mention. She’s unsupportive, dismissive and patronising of Fliss’ dream of being a great actress. Although saying that, I understand that she only wants her daughter to have the best life possible and the opportunities that she didn’t have. Don’t get me wrong, I still didn’t like her, but I did get where she was coming from.

But I think that Star-Crossed is ultimately a coming-of-age story. Fliss learns to believe in herself and her abilities and to stand up for herself through her summer of Romeo and Juliet. Her growth in confidence was touching and uplifting as and someone who isn’t particularly confident, it was all the more moving.

Star-Crossed is a very cute start to a series that will be a big hit with younger teens.

For my 2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

8 comments:

  1. Nice review - I agree with what you said about Samantha. Really, REALLY didn't like her. Which was a good thing.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would enjoy reading this book. Like you I love Romeo and Juliet and all the books I have read that use it as a stepping off point. This books has an interesting premise and the characterization sounds strongly written. Great review Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! What did you think of Tom? I think I might be the only one who liked her mum! I agree about Samantha - hated her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sammee - I thought Tom was distinctly average as I forgot to even mention him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun read, its my first time hearding about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Soph! I liked this one too, though I think the next book could be even better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sammee, I sympathised with Fliss's mum too!
    Great review, Sophie, and... sorry to go off-topic but... WOW, it was so wonderful to meet you yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luisa - It was lovely to meet you too! Hopefully it'll happen again at some point!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!