Thursday 10 June 2010

The Moonstone Legacy - Diana de Gunzburg and Tony Wild

The Moonstone Legacy - Diana de Gunzberg and Tony Wild

Pages: 299
Publisher: Pushkin Press
Release Date: 31st May 2010

In a sacred cave high in the mountains of northern India, a white-haired hermit sits cross-legged, and signs his final testament: “George Abercrombie, 1874...”

In present-day England, the mother of fourteen-year-old Lizzy Abercrombie dies in a tragic accident under the full moon. But was it really an accident? Lizzy discovers that her death may be linked to a mysterious family curse.

Determined to solve the mystery, her quest takes her from an Anglo-Indian mansion on the Yorkshire moors to India, where she uncovers the terrible truth about her ancestor and a stolen inheritance. But her discoveries put her in mortal danger from a ruthless enemy…

The continuation of Wilkie Collins’ classic is a rich and sumptuous debut novel from Diana de Gunzburg and Tony Wild.

One of the first things that struck me about The Moonstone Legacy is how beautifully written it is. The skill and sophistication of execution is unbelievable and makes it hard to believe it’s a debut novel. I love the Abercrombie family curse. It’s wrapped in mystery and intrigue, tied in with creepy connections to the full moon and the beautiful, majestic landscapes of India. Before reading this novel, my historical knowledge of India was rather vague and sketchy so I was fascinated with the detail, though slightly annoyed at the negative effects of the British occupation.

But the real shockers of The Moonstone Legacy came at the end. The last sixty or so pages are packed full of action and heart-stopping suspense. And what I didn’t realise was, it’s the first in a trilogy. And there was a shocking cliffhanger. A cliffhanger that I didn’t expect in the least.

The Moonstone Legacy is a wonderfully opulent story that I really enjoyed.

For my 2010 Debut Author Challenge2010 100+ Reading Challenge

Sophie

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like another book to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now im desperate to read it! thx for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I studied history of India at Uni and I'm fascinated by their culture. I will love this book I'm sure !
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably need to read this one, don't I? Thanks Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm...I have to say that although I did enjoy some aspects of this book, I found some of it to be a little dated. Words like dashing spring to mind. If something is set in contemporary England, I feel it is a crime to use the word dashing unless you are a ninety year old character. LOL

    Interesting review Sophie. I didn't realise it was the first in a series either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds like a fantastic read. I want! I want! I want! The whole mystery of the family curse and the full moon is appealing to me in ways I can't even begin to describe! :) Lovely review Sophie - thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review, Sophie - really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrific review. This is a new title for me and I am definitely going to have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!