Sunday 6 June 2010

In My Mailbox 66

This meme was started by the fabulous Kristi who was inspired by Alea. Check out their blogs for more information. All summaries are from the book jackets.

For review:

Nicholas Dane - Melvin Burgess

‘We take care of boys that no one else will…’

When Nicholas’s num overdoses on heroin, the fourteen-year-old is suddenly lost, grieving and alone. Sent away to a boys’ home, Nick finds order is kept by intimidation and violence.

After countless fights and punishments, Nick thinks life can’t get any worse. But the deputy head, Mr Tony Creal, has other ideas.

The shame Nick experiences at the hands of Mr Creal can never quite be forgotten and, when Nick discovers he wasn’t the only one to suffer, the old hatred later resurfaces.

Can revenge lay Nick’s ghosts to rest - or will he never be free of them?

A second copy from Puffin. I gave it to a friend who said her mum loves Melvin Burgess.

Space Crime Conspiracy - Gareth P. Jones

In a galaxy far, far away, the intergalactic crime of the century has taken place: Preseident Vorlugenar has been murdered and the prime suspect is…Stanley Bound, a young lad from London who thought his biggest problem was his obnoxious big brother.

Whisked away to the other side of the universe, Stanley finds himself trapped and awaiting trial in the Bucket, a notorious space prison. Managing to escape, he sets out to prove his innocence and along the way encounters warring galactic groups, a talking mushroom and terrifying bird-headed pirates.

As his outer-space adventures gather pace Stanley realises he is in a whole galaxy of trouble and may never see home again.

Thanks to Bloomsbury for this. It sounds fun.

My Name is Memory - Ann Brashares (ARC)

‘I have fallen in love, and she is the one who endures. I killed her once and died for her many times and I still have nothing to show for it. I always search for her. I always remember her. I carry the hope that someday she will remember me.’

Their story spans a thousand years. Time and again, they have been together, yet apart. He knows they are meant to be one. Only he carries the memory of their love.

Discover a love story with the power and intensity of The Time Traveller’s Wife and the passion of Twilight.

A second copy from Hodder & Stoughton, but with the beautiful cover on the ARC this time.

Bought:

None! Pre-orders don’t count. Right?

Sophie

18 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm looking forward to hearing more about these from you. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, preorders don't count. And neither do books you ordered online that didn't arrive yet. At least, that's what I tell myself. :D

    The cover for My Name Is Memory is *gorgeous*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Space crime conspiracy looks AWESOME !!!
    I bought 'Doing it' by Melvin Burgess, sounds hilarious !!
    Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Space Crime Conspiracy looks fab - the plot reminds me of a Doctor Who story which makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of double ups this week!
    It depends on what you pre-ordered (see, now I'm just curious!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Name is Memory sounds great. I just saw the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books! My name is Memory looks like a great read. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought Nicholas Dane yesterday at the book signing. I'm scared to read it...

    I wonder if Space Crime Conspiracy will appeal to fans of Dr Who...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am intrigued by My Name is Memory. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These looks good! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name is memory sounds really good!

    Here is my IMMB if you wanna check it out:
    http://blkosiner.blogspot.com/2010/06/immb-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy your new books. I love the cover of My Name is Memory. I have a different ARC cover. I started reading it, and i'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your book selection sounds awesome. I definitely want to read Nicholas Dane - that's for sure. Sounds like quite an intense read, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I havent heard of any of these books but My Name of Memory sounds really good. Will have to look it up. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great week Sophie! Space Crime Conspiracy is guaranteed to be fun - Gareth P Jones's last book was hilarious. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Name is Memory looks great! I loved the Sisterhood series.
    thesmartyowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you going to review My Name is Memory? I've been searching for one :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!