Wednesday 27 January 2010

My Love Lies Bleeding - Alyxandra Harvey

My Love Lies Bleeding - Alyxandra Harvey

Pages: 248
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: 4th January 2010

Other Titles in the Series: Blood Feud (UK 05/07/10)

“They’re close,” she murmered. “Watching.”
“Run?” I suggested. “Like right now?”
She shook her head. “If we act like prey, they’ll act like predators.”

Solange has always known she is a vampire. And as the only female vampire ever born, not initiated, she is surrounded by danger on all sides - from other vampire tribes who want to take her blood into their lineage, and from the bounty hunters who are set on destroying her and her family.

When she is kidnapped, it’s up to her older brother, Nicholas, and best friend, Lucy, to save her.

But can Lucy save herself from Nicholas, who tempts her with every look - what will be her own fate if she surrenders her heart to a vampire?

My Love Lies Bleeding is the addictive first book in what I’m sure is going to be a fantastic new vampire series.

For me, this book can be summed up in just two words: pure fun. I was giggling aloud to myself the entire way through; mostly at Lucy. She’s such a brilliant character! Equal parts mad, loyal, funny and caring. Whenever she said anything remotely serious, she added a funny line at the end and her comebacks to the Drake boys and Kieran were hilarious. The spilt narrative of My Love Lies Bleeding also allowed us to hear Solange’s side of the story. I didn’t connect with her as much as I did with Lucy as she was most definitely out-shouted by her and didn’t feel quite as alive (no pun intended!).

But as much as I loved the girls, the boys completely stole their crown. I’m a sucker for a vampire guy; it’s becoming a serious problem! All of Solange’s brothers are completely kickass and would do anything for their little sister. Nicholas, however, is by far my favourite. His seriousness, beauty and killer smile reminded me of a certain other vampire, which could explain why I like him so much! All of the boys provided many comic moments that just made me love My Love Lies Bleeding all the more.

When I began reading My Love Lies Bleeding I wasn’t too impressed with the vampire mythology; it seemed a little samey. As I read on, I realised just how different it actually is and soon came to love Solange’s, rather confusing, world. I loved all of the older Drake vamps wearing their period outfits and sitting in their parlours, having balls and eating blood-laced raspberry mousse.

I loved My Love Lies Bleeding and I’m excited to read the next instalment of the Drake Chronicles, Blood Feud, when it’s released in July.

Sophie

15 comments:

  1. I loved reading this review, and the book really sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I agree with you about vampire boys, and I have the exact same problem - do you think there's a cure?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this review. Already put this book on my wishlist..It looks like my wishlist has more vampire books than normal
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review, I just picked this one up and I am excited to read it it sounds like a good read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to think of this book, but you gave it a good review and called it fun. Now I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - Nope, no cure. We're stuck with it for life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I think it book is exactly what I need to get back into paranormal-I'm feeling a little burnt out right now. But a fun light vampire read would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I just finished this book, and I agree with everything you said in this review! :) The characters were so great, especially Lucy and Solange's family. I didn't care as much for Solange as I did for Lucy though, it felt like Lucy's story more than Solange's!

    I can't wait to read Blood Feud, hopefully that book will be just as great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this one too, I actually found it rather funny :-) fab review

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait, isn't this called Hearts at Stake in the US? I'm confused! haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Book Owl - Yes, it is Hearts at Stake. So confusing when they change the titles, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this :)

    BTW, here's an award ^D^ http://dragonfly-reviews.blogspot.com/2010/01/humane-blogger.html

    Sara xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read it and loved every minute of it, i just hope there is more about nicholas and lucy in the next one or do a book about them that would be really awesome

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review, Sophie! I loved this book, it was just brilliant! I really can't wait for the next book! I'm linking to your review from mine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had gotten so excited just now, when I thought the sequel had already come out! I mean I was really fooled, with the different cover and all! But then I read that they call the it "Hearts at Stake" in the U.S. Wow I cant believe I got so excited for nothing. lolz

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!