Friday 22 January 2010

Flyaway - Lucy Christopher

Today is my one year Blogoversary! (Ignore what is says in the button; it’s wrong!) I’d just like to say a huge, but quick, thank you to all my followers, those who’ve left comments and the authors and publishers who’ve sent me books to review. But mostly to the fantastic friends I’ve made this year. Thanks guys!

Flyaway - Lucy Christopher

Pages: 314
Publisher: Chicken House
Release Date: 4th January 2010

Other Titles by this Author: Stolen (my review)

One cold winter morning, Dad gets sick - and goes into hospital.

It’s there I meet Harry, with his scruffy hair and firefly eyes. From his window we watch a wild swan on the frozen lake outside.

There’s something different about her, truly different. Almost magical.

Perhaps, if we can help her, everything else will begin to make sense.

Lucy Christopher’s sophomore novel, Flyaway, is just as breathtakingly beautiful as her first. Though in a very different way.

Flyaway is written in such fluid prose that it takes you right into the heart of Isla’s world. I felt like I was watching the swans with Isla and her dad, riding to the hospital with her in the middle of the night and sitting with her while she started to make the best school project in history. Lucy Christopher captured an air of sadness with her soft, subtle prose. But it is also a novel filled with hope and magic. Not Harry Potter magic, but the true magic of love, friendship and family.

Lucy is clearly a master of imagery. I knew this from some stunning scenes in Stolen, but she really cemented herself as a favourite after Flyaway. Some of the most stand out images for me are Isla and Harry teaching their swan to fly and when Isla’s Dad tells her the myth of the swansong. I won’t spoil it and tell you what it is, but it’s truly special and I still catch myself thinking about it over a week after finishing it.

The relationships in Flyaway are all understated and yet still compelling. I loved how Harry and Isla’s chance meeting grew into friendship and then to a sweet, innocence romance. They complimented each other perfectly. Harry’s bright, cheeky, confident outlook suits Isla’s focus and tendency to worry. Another of my favourite relationships in Flyaway is the one Isla and her dad share. She’s clearly the apple of his eye and she worships him right back. Their little traditions, shared love of birds and general connection make Isla one seriously lucky girl.

I loved Flyaway nearly as much as I did Stolen and with this novel Lucy Christopher has put herself firmly on my auto-buy list.

Sophie

15 comments:

  1. Happy blogoversary!! Keep up the good work! You'll have 300 followers in no time. :)
    And Flyaway sounds great. Harry and Isla's relationship is something that I want to read about.

    In reading a novel, imagery is a big factor for me. And based on what you said, this one meets my standards! Awesome review - I mean it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy blogoversary! :)
    And thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review! It sounds wonderful!

    And ***happy happy blogoversary***! I've loved every single one of your posts over the past year and I'm so happy I found your site last year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, Happy Blogoversary! I love your blog - it's still firmly at the top of my favourites :)

    And yay Flyaway! I knew you'd love it. Lucy is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy one year Blogoversary! That's quite an achievement, especially with high quality posts like yours.

    Beautiful review, too. I've promised myself I'll pick this up when I see it in store - it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! The book sounds great.

    Congrats with your blogoversary!! Cheers to many more years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this book sounds really awesome. Your review has also made me want to check out Lucy Christopher's first book. :) Awesome review!

    And happy blogoversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a whole year! I've never read anything by Lucy Christopher, but now I really want to. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogoversary! I still need to read Stolen, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I really need to read a book by this author. Your review made her book sound so poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY HAPPY ONE YEAR BLOGIVERSARY!!! and I hope you have many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb review! Sorry I missed your blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really love your website, it is so great. Of course, welcome to visit our website too. There are so many great watches and others products....

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!