Sunday 31 January 2010

In My Mailbox 49

This meme was started by the fabulous Kristi who was inspired by Alea. If you want more information check out their blogs. All summaries are from the book jackets.

For review:

My Worst Best Friend - Dyan Sheldon

“Promise me you’ll always be my best friend, Gracie,” said Savanna.
“No matter what happens. Promise. Promise. Promise.” I laughed. “Of course I will,” I promised.

It was a no-brainer. There was nothing that could ever end our friendship. We were soul sisters. We were cosmic twins and would be forever.

As least that’s what I thought then.

Thanks to Walker for a review copy of this book. I’m looking forward to it!

How to Train Your Dragon - Cressida Cowell

Can Hiccup pass the Dragon Initiation Programme with a toothless dragon AND fight the Sea Dragonus Maximus before it gobbles up every Viking on Berk?

It’s time for Hiccup to learn how to be a Hero.

This was a surprise from Hodder and it looks hilarious. I also got a really cool booklet and the movie trailer DVD.

Bought:

Nobody’s Girl - Sarra Manning

Life is hard for dreamers…

Plain, frumpy, dull as mud - that’s Bea. So when super-cool Ruby and her posse want to hang with her, it has to be practical joke. But an invitation to a girly holiday in Malaga with Ruby and co. seems like the real deal. Even better, Bea can get away from her annoying mum.

But after forty-eight hours in Spain, Bea is heading to Paris to find the father she’s never met. On the way she meets Toph, an American student backpacking around Europe, and as they search for her dad in the cafés and boulevards of Paris, she loses her heart instead.

Is Bea Toph’s girl or the good girl her mum expects her to be? Or will this be the magical summer that Bea finally becomes her own girl?

I LOVE Sarra Manning’s books so when my sister spotted this in WH Smith’s, I nearly lost it with excitement.

Along for the Ride - Sarah Dessen

Auden has always felt like the odd one out.

Since her parents’ divorce she’s shied away, studying lots and staying out of the party scene.

But now Auden’s realised there must be something more and, just like that, she changes everything. Moving to her dad’s house opens up a whole new world of beach parties, food fights - and simply having fun.

As she gets to know herself - and a secretive boy with dark, brooding eyes - can Auden begin to let go and finally feel like she truly belongs?

*Squee* Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jenny! (Can you tell I’m excited to read this one?)

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove - Lauren Kate

All it takes is one fatal mistake.

What she wanted:
Natalie Hargrove wants one thing and one thing only - to be her high school’s Palmetto Princess. Among the other Southern Belles, a.k.a. Bambies, competing for the crown, she’s by far the most beautiful, and the most deserving. Or so she thinks.

The catch:
Her boyfriend, Mike King, is on the brink of losing Palmetto Prince to Nat’s nasty nemesis Justin Balmer. And let’s just say Natalie and Justin have a history so shady it could wither flowers. Sure, Natalie could share the throne with Justin - over her dead body.

The trick:
So Nat convinces Mike to help her play a naughty little prank on Justin…just to make him look bad. Little do they know, the plan is about to go terribly, terribly wrong.


The fatal flaw:
Natalie and Mike desperately try to cover up what happened to Justin. But blackmail and buried desire, dark secrets and even darker deeds slowly begin to tear them apart. Because fate is the one thing more twisted than Natalie Hargrove.

Very excited for this one because I loved Fallen.

Some Girls Are - Courtney Summers

Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumours about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around.

Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumours are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.

Tensions grow and the abuse worsens as the final days of senior year march toward an explosive conclusion in this dark new tale from the author of Cracked Up To Be.

I've heard amazing thing after amazing thing about this book so I hope it meets my expectations.

Sophie

23 comments:

  1. I'm thinking I need to buy Hodder's House to Train your Dragon for the school library. Hope you enjoy all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic mailbox! The more I hear about Some Girls Are, the less I'm able to resist buying it. I really like the sound of My Worst Best Friend too. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very envious of Some Girls Are! Happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some awesome books! I particularly want to read Some Girls Are and Nobody's Girl. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great haul this week, Sophie! I received How to Train Your Dragon too. Not sure if it's too young for me to enjoy though. So many books I'm looking forward to reading here! Happy reading, and I look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, fantastic books this week! I've read My Worst Best Friend and Nobody's Girl and I loved both of them! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How to Train Your Dragos is absolutely brilliant! I read it yesterday, and just laughed my way through it. So glad you got a copy :)

    My Worst Best Friend also looks like a great read, and I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Some Girls Are.

    Ooh, and Nobody's Girl.. I've got to get me a finished copy of that. Enjoy AFTR too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove and Some Girls Are look like really good reads! I hope you enjoy all of your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lot of good reads lined up! :-) I have been reading fantastic reviews of Some Girls Are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sound of My Worst Best Friend and yay for Some Girls are:) Hope you enjoy them:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some Girls Are is AMAZING!!! and I loved Along For The Ride, one of my favourite Dessen books! enjoy <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some good books this week :) I can't wait to read Some Girls Are :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooooh! I read How To Train Your Dragon a while back. It had me in stitches! I also got Along For The Ride. You are right, resisting Sarah Dessen is futile. I'm forcing myself through NO and Me and some of my other review books that I have before I read it. As perpetual (very badly spelled) torture, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the UK covers for the Sarah Dessen books. Also heard that Some Girls Are is really good so enyjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome books you got this week. The Betrayal of Natalie Hargreaves looks really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got some really awesome books this week. Hope you enjoy them! =]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some Girls are is so so GOOD. Along For The Ride is fantastic as well. Enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice books this week! Haven't read any of these, so looking forward to your reviews. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some girls are looks amazing, Happy Reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so jealous you got Some Girls Are. Enjoy all of the books you got ^^

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lots of great stuff! I love the cover on the Sarah Dessen book, so pretty! Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Team Peeta!! WhOooP WhoOOp!!!


    You have some great books!!=)




    http://chas-n-kai.blogspot.com/2010/01/in-my-mailbox_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved "Some Girls Are," and "Along for the Ride." They're both amazing (but very different) books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!