Wednesday 1 July 2009

The Bride's Farewell - Meg Rosoff

The Bride’s Farewell - Meg Rosoff

Pages: 185
Publisher: Puffin
Release Date: 3rd September 2009

Other Titles by This Author: How I Live Now, Just in Case, What I Was

On the morning of her wedding, Pell Ridley creeps out of bed in the dark, kisses her sisters goodbye and flees - determined to escape a future that offers nothing but hard work and sorrow.
The road ahead is rich with longing, silence and secrets, and each encounter leads closer to the untold story of her past.

And then she meets a hunter - infuriating, mysterious and cold. His fate appears to be strangely entwined with her own. Will he help her to find what she seeks? Or must she continue to search the earth, searching for love and lost things…

I was a little disappointed with The Bride’s Farewell. Meg Rosoff’s previous three novels blew me away, but this just didn’t.

Pell is a strong, independent heroine who knows her own mind. She knows what she wants and how to get it, which is what I like about her. But Pell also has a subtlety and charm that makes her a well-rounded character and very easy to like.

One of the reasons that I didn’t like The Bride’s Farewell as much as I thought I would may be down to my lack of enthusiasm for horses. Horses are a central part of this novel and you can tell that Meg Rosoff has lots of love and respect for them. But, personally, I’m not really that fussed.

But like I’ve come to expect from Meg Rosoff, The Bride’s Farewell is a beautifully written story of love in all it’s guises that is completely different to all of her previous novels. I never know what to expect from her books and I know that’ll I’ll never not want to find out what she’s written about next.

This is a charming tale that’s perfect for lover’s of horses and subtle romance.

Sophie

4 comments:

  1. That's a really interesting review, Sophie, and I know what you mean about Meg Rosoff's books - they're all so different! I'll look out for this one. Thanks a lot for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this, but haven't read it yet. In fact, I've never read anything by Meg Rosoff. I'm not much of a horse enthusiast either, so I'm not sure what I'll think if it. Cheers for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read one book by Meg Rosoff and didn't enjoy it so I'm reluctant to pick up anything else by her. I don't think I'll pick this book up. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this early review! I'm so looking forward to this one. I've read and loved all of her books and you were spot on when you said you never know what to expect and you think you'll never not want to know what she's written next. That's exactly how I feel. I can't wait for this one. It seems as though there are mixed feelings about the ending. What did you think? Is it as bleak as other parts of the book?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!