Friday 26 September 2014

Messenger of Fear, Michael Grant


Pages: 309
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Release Date: 28th August 2014
Edition: UK hardcover, purchased

Other Titles by this Author: Gone, Hunger, Lies, Plague, Fear, Light; BSRK, BSRK Reloaded, BSRK Apocalypse; Eve and Adam

“Who are you?”

That was the first question I asked the boy in front of me. The pale, solemn young man in the black coat with small silver skulls for buttons.

But he didn’t answer it. Instead he answered the question I never asked, but which was nevertheless what I really wanted to know.

Am I dead?

No. Not dead, he told me.

But surely not quite alive, either. How could I be? I remembered my name – Mara. But, standing in that ghostly place, still shuddering at the memory of the creeping yello mist that had awoken me in that strange, silent land, I could recall nothing about myself.

And then the names began.

When I heard about Messenger of Fear I thought it sounded cool, but my guilt over not having finished the Gone series held me back. Then I read Carly’s review over at Writing from the Tub and I went out and bought it that afternoon. So glad I did!

Messenger of Fear is a novel of mystery and I have to admit that for most of the novel I had very little idea of what was going on. Just like Mara. And Mara didn’t have a clue. She awoke to clouds of cloying mist, an unbelievably beautiful boy in a long black coat and no memories. Where was she? Who was she? What was happening? Answers to the questions that Mara (and I) had very barely drip fed by Messenger on an absolutely, essential-only need to know basis. And even though the lack of information was frustrating, it was a good kind and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough.

As we started to learn the secrets of this place that Mara had found herself in and about her own situation; a world of balance, retribution, fear and judgement lies in her future. There are gods and potential demons and a whole host of temptation that leads Mara to a shocking twist that finally reveals what happened and how she got to be Messenger’s apprentice. I had guessed something in the vicinity of what happened, but I was still surprised.

Messenger of Fear is an addictive and intriguing start to a new series and I can’t wait to find out more about Messenger, Mara’s journey and the world she’s been thrown into.

Sophie

2 comments:

  1. Yesss I'm so glad you liked it! Cannot wait for book two :D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! This sounds really interesting, great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!