Friday 12 August 2011

Rip Tide - Kat Falls


Rip Tide – Kat Falls

Pages: 314
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: 4th August 2011

Other Titles in this Series: Dark Life

Ty has always known that the ocean is a dangerous place, populated by sharks, killer whales – and savage outlaws. Every time he swims beyond the borders of his family’s subsea settlement, he’s prepared to face all manner of predators.

What he isn't prepared for is the discovery of an entire township chained to a sunken aeroplane, its inhabitants doomed to a watery grave. It’s only the first clue to a mystery that has claimed hundreds of lives and stands to claim two more. Lives which are very precious to Ty and his topsider ally, Gemma...

Dark Life was one of last year’s reading highlights for me so I’ve been dying to read Rip Tide ever since it was announced.

I have to admit that it didn't quite live up to its predecessor even though all of the elements I loved first time around were there. I can’t quite pinpoint what it was that didn't set off the fireworks this time. There was still the stunningly vivid imagery of Ty’s underwater world that blew me away, especially when it came to the terrifying action scenes with the horrific deep sea beasts. And there were definitely quite a few of them.

The plot revolves around the anchored townships and a kidnapping. The idea alone of purposely sinking a town in sickening and Ty’s discovery of Nomad made my blood run cold. It’s so beyond comprehension that someone could do that. But in a way I thought it supported the theme of family that Kat Falls employed in Rip Tide. In a community like Benthic Territory, life without the support of friends and family would be near impossible and it was heart-warming to see them all come together to do good.

But one of my favourite things about Rip Tide is how Gemma’s crippling fear of the ocean is dealt with. Her fear manifests in panic attacks resulting from what she’s seen and experienced and I was literally glowing with pride on the occasions where she had to put her fear aside and get into the water as a matter of life and death. I also found it fascinating that the root of Gemma’s fear – the danger of the ocean – is where Ty feels most comfortable and Gemma’s comfort zone of Topside crowds is Ty’s worst nightmare.

Rip Tide was brilliantly visual and action-packed and I hope that Kat Falls takes us for more adventures in Benthic Territory.


Sophie 

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about Dark Falls the other day and was wondering if the second book was out. Thanks for this review. I will read Rip Tide but now I know I don't have to bump it up the queue.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!