Friday 19 August 2011

Wolfsbane - Andrea Cremer


Wolfsbane – Andrea Cremer

Pages: 390
Publisher: Atom (Little, Brown)
Release Date: 26th July 2011

Other Titles in the Series: Nightshade

You’re an alpha, a leader.
That’s what we need.
It’s what we’ve always needed.

When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of her sworn enemies, she’s certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer, one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack – and the boy – she left behind.

But is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side, no matter what?

Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can survive.

Nightshade was one of my favourite books of 2010 and so I was beyond excited to read Wolfsbane. I just wish it had lived up to that high.

Andrea Cremer launches her readers straight back into Calla’s story, only around a week after Nightshade ended, and I have to admit to being a little lost. I struggled to remember what happened and all of the things that were discovered and not much of it was recapped in any way in Wolfsbane so I remained a little bewildered and had to piece together what I thought had happened.

And although the point I’m about to make at first seems to counteract what I just said, I promise it’s something entirely different! I thought that there was a deluge of information sometimes. There were so many explanations of plots, histories and truths revealed to Calla that I couldn’t keep up and remember it all. I like things like that to be divulged slowly throughout the novel and not in one huge clump.

I did love all of the new characters that were introduced in Wolfsbane, though. Adne is pure awesome. As a Weaver she has insanely cool powers that the Searchers couldn’t exist safely without and she’s direct and funny. Then there’s Connor with his not-always funny, but nearly always inappropriate jokes, he added some much needed light relief to lots of situations and frequently made me snort with laughter. But there was definitely more to him than that which I hope we’ll discover in Bloodrose. These characters were a life-saver to me as I found Calla really quite annoying in Wolfsbane. Where was the sassy, tough, non-nonsense Calla that I really loved? She was replaced by an indecisive, rather fickle girl who wasn’t nearly as strong as I thought she was.

Even though I didn’t love Wolfsbane, I will still read Bloodrose just to see what on earth happens to Ren, who wasn’t in Wolfsbane nearly enough.

Sophie

2 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of reviews now with similar complaints as you...which is a shame because Nightshade was so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .. I don't like reading mixed reviews of a book I'm really looking forward to reading like this, but I guess it does lower my expectations a little bit. Still can't wait to read it and perhaps the fact that I read Nighshade pretty recently will help? Or not? Either way, I'm looking to get my hands on a copy :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!