Monday 5 April 2010

Dark Life - Kat Falls

Dark Life - Kat Falls

Pages: 297 (ARC)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: 29th April 2010

When the oceans rose, entire continents were swallowed up by the rising water. Now humans live packed into high rises on small tracts of land, while those willing to forge new frontiers settle deep beneath the waves.

Ty has lived under the sea his entire life, helping his family to farm the ocean floor. But when outlaws attack, Ty finds himself in a fight to save the only home he has ever known. Joined by Gemma, a girl from Topside who is looking for her missing brother, Ty ventures into the frontier’s rough underworld - and discovers some very dark secrets. Secrets which threaten to destroy everything…

A world where the deep can be dangerous, the darkness can be deadly and sometimes it’s all you can do to stay alive…

Dark Life is a sparkling debut that captivated my imagination from first word to last. Kat Falls is a major new YA talent.

The first part of Dark Life that I have to gush about is the breathtaking imagery. Benthic Territory is where the east coast of America has collapsed into the sea and Ty is forever searching for relics. While doing this, avoiding doing his chores and fighting for his home, Ty encounters fearsome, arcing dolphins, barnacled whales, luminescent jellyfish and incredible fish. It’s full of life, colour and vibrancy, even in the total darkness of the ocean floor. And if I had to choose between being a Topsider or a pioneer, I’d be right with Ty living in a jellyfish-look-alike house. So amazing!

My next gushing object if Ty himself. He’s one of those rare truly good guys tht get hidden by the likes of a girl’s bad boy favourites. Ty has an overwhelming passion for the ocean and it’s creatures, not only because it’s his home, though that is part of it, but because he realises how wondrous, dangerous and diverse it is. But he also has a reckless streak that’s bordering on stupidity. He’ll be first to rush off and do something risky to protect his home and those he cares about. And he gets embarrassed and blushes around girls. And he glows which is pretty damn awesome.

You know, I think that this is the first dystopian novel that actually sounds okay to live in. So if there’s an apocalypse tomorrow, you know where I’ll be hiding! But, seriously, the effects of climate change and global warming are very topical at the moment they’ve been remained in books, films and TV shows over and over again, and yet, Kat Falls has managed to dream up a vision of the future that’s completely original. Can you tell how much I love this yet?

I believe Dark Life to be the beginning of a series, and though I think it works beautifully as a stand-alone novel, I’m waiting anxiously for another chance to read Kat Falls’ writing.

Sophie

17 comments:

  1. Never heard of this book before, will have to keep my eyes open for it. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this last week and I too was blown away by the beauty of the life beneath the ocean surface. I agree in this future living in one of those floaty house things doesn't sound too bad. I'm not sure about the state of the government though. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review, Sophie! I am so excited to read this book, and I think I should move it up the TBR pile based on your review. Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something so Jules Vern about the cover of this book. Quite nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this, lovely cover

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to this one - it's waiting to be read next week. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, and Kat Falls' writing sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab review - I really loved this book & would definitely like to visit Ty in his underwater world :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the review - this book sounds so different! I loved what you said about it being a dystopia you wouldn't mind living in. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm part-way through this, and the world is so intriguing - I can see what you mean about thinking it's kind of liveable. I think it would make a great movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent review! I loved this book so much. I think I might have to read it again, and am also eagerly awaiting a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for reviewing !! The movie is looking great..I have read the book but never go for movie. I wish I will also watch it very soon. And Surely will not be disappoint with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. New Scifi Writers need to avoid using Bogus science as the premise for their stories. james Patterson with the Max series jumped on the Global warming band wagon it it ruined the series for me.
    Just picked this and "fang" up at the library so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished this, really nice enjoyable read. My daughter purchased it at her school's book fair. I picked it up with nothing better to do at the moment, and to sneak a peek at the book.
    I didn't feel like it made all adults out to be idiots, just the bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want to read the book but it is not in the poinciana library.... and not on the internet,

    ReplyDelete
  15. ive read this book 64 times and im reading it again lol best book ever its weird cuz gemma resembals me in so many ways lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. brooke biggest fan of the book eva29 July 2011 at 06:26

    omg i would be perfect to play her part in a movie my friends keep calling me miny gemma

    ReplyDelete
  17. great book i like how shade was actually gemmas dad

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!