Monday 5 December 2016

What Light, Jay Asher


Pages: 259
Publisher: Macmillan
Release Date: 20th October 2016
Edition: UK proof, review copy

Other Titles by this Author: Thirteen Reasons Why, The Future of Us

Sierra’s family runs a Christmas tree farm in Oregon - it’s an idyllic place to grow up, except that every year they have to pack up and move to California and set up their Christmas tree lot for the season. So Sierra lives two lives: her life in Oregon and her life at Christmas. And leaving one always means missing the other. Until this particular Christmas, when Sierra meets Caleb, and one life begins to eclipse the other…

I was really surprised to see that Jay Asher was coming back onto the YA scene with a Christmas romance, but he did it perfectly. What Light was an amazing start to my Christmas reading.

This is such a quick read - I flew through it in only two sittings - but it also had a lot of depth I really wasn’t expecting. Sierra struggles with being torn between her two lives and being pulled in two different directions by her friends in Oregon and California; the financial struggles of maintaining the family business and Caleb.

Caleb has a murky past and the rumours surrounding him are NOT good, but she can’t help feel the way she does. I really loved the way Jay Asher confronted those rumours and Caleb’s history. Sierra questions her feelings, her attraction and her decision to be with him despite it all in a realistic, authentic way and I completely believed the way she approached their relationship.

Sierra’s story is set against the perfect atmosphere. Despite being set in California, the family tree lot, the countless peppermint mochas and cosy traditions made it feel warm, Christmassy and 100% festive. After only a few chapters of hearing about the love Sierra and her family have for Christmas and the tree lot I felt like I’ve seriously missed out by never having a real tree. One day! It’s also made me desperate to push through my hatred of coffee and try a peppermint mocha...

What Light is romantic, full of heart and all about love and second chances - it put me right in the Christmas spirit. You should all add it to your festive TBR!

Thanks to Macmillan for the review copy.

Sophie

1 comment:

  1. Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year and I'm basically Buddy the elf with my enthusiasm level, so this story was everything I love!



    -Dana@College Reine Marie

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!