Tuesday 20 January 2015

From Page to Screen: The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies



THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES
Adapted from The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (George Allen & Unwin, 1937)


DECEMBER 2014

MARTIN FREEMAN ~ Bilbo Baggins
IAN McKELLEN ~ Gandalf the Grey
RICHARD ARMITAGE ~ Thorin
AIDAN TURNER ~ Kili
LUKE EVANS ~ Bard
BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH ~ Smaug
ORLANDO BLOOM ~ Legolas
EVANGELINE LILY ~ Tauriel

Trailer

Does it hold up?

Of course it did!

With the end the credits rolling on The Desolation of Smaug just as Smaug fled the Lonely Mountain ready to wreak havoc in Lake-town, the final instalment was bound the start with a bang. It didn’t take long for the first battle of the film to wow me with the sheer wonder of the graphics, effects and general look of the series. 
 

But it was the emotional punch in the gut that had the biggest impact. I didn’t find that there was enough character in the novel to even get to know Bilbo and the gang, let along get attached, but I fell in love with them over the film series. I even cried three times! So much emotion! And this was in a film that included a battle scene so epic that it spanned at least an hour of the entire film; it was impressive that it still allowed me to connect with the characters thoroughly.

The Battle of the Five Armies is an epic, emotional ending to a story about friendship, loyalty, honour and home that will be as well-loved as the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Rating: 9/10

Book or film?
As with all of this series of films, the films win for me. As I’ve said before, The Hobbit in novel form lacked the depth and development of character and theme that the film captures beautifully. I don’t think I’ll ever read the book again but I’ll watch these films over and over again.

Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!