Monday 21 March 2016

The Girl from Everywhere, Heidi Heilig

Pages: 343
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Release Date: 3rd March 2016
Edition: UK paperback, review copy

It was the kind of August day that hinted at monsoons, and the year was 1774, though not for very much longer.

Nix Song is a time-traveller. She and her father use maps to navigate not just the globe but time itself. Their glorious old pirate ship, manned by a rag-tag crew of time-refugees, is stuffed with treasures both typical and mythical and takes them wherever their hearts desire.

But for all the adventure such a life holds, there is danger too. A danger that threatens Nix’s very existence. And when fate and a very particular map take Nix back to her origins, everything she knows is thrown into jeopardy. Including, perhaps, the path to the love of her life…

Lush, thrilling, and exquisitely romantic, The Girl From Everywhere will simply sweep you away.

Everything about Heidi Heilig’s debut appeals to me: Maps! Mythology! Romance! Hawaii!

The premise of The Girl from Everywhere is pure magic and I really loved learning about how it works and getting snippets of past adventures Nix has had aboard the Temptation. I love that they can Navigate to mythological places, distant times and distant lands and the endless possibilities made me dream of being a member of the crew myself.

But my favourite element of the novel was definitely the budding romance between Nix and Kashmir. I love the banter, the sizzly tension and the touches of affection and feeling that pass between them as they go about their adventures. Kashmir is cheeky and sweet and I loved the way that he made Nix think differently. Also, they are just plain adorable together.

Though I enjoyed the romance, the mythology, the world-building and the tense history between Nix and Slate, I never felt particularly inclined to pick it back up at all. I don’t know why it was – the writing was so beautiful! – and once I was reading, I raced through it. I even finished The Girl from Everywhere genuinely excited to read more from Nix, Kashmir and the rest of the Temptation crew.

The Girl from Everywhere is a beautifully written debut about magic, myth, love and friendship. A gorgeous start to a super fun series.

Thanks to Hot Key Books for the review copy.

Sophie 

1 comment:

  1. oooh, Sounds like one to add to the TBR list! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!