Friday 27 February 2009

The Thirteen Treasures - Michelle Harrison

The Thirteen Treasures - Michelle Harrison

Pages: 326
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: 5th January 2009

While visiting her grandmother’s house, Tanya discovers an unsolved mystery. Fifty years ago, a girl vanished in the woods nearby - a girl Tanya’s grandmother will not speak of. Fabian, the caretaker’s son, is tormented by the girl’s disappearance. His grandfather was the last person to see her alive, and has lived under suspicion ever since. Together, Tanya and Fabian decide to find the truth. But Tanya has her own secret: the ability to see faeries. Can it help them to unravel the mystery? Soon they are facing terrible danger - could the manor’s sinister history be about to repeat itself?

I really enjoyed this novel. It was all about mischevious fairies and lots of fairy lore that I love. There was also a dark mystery entwined into the story that kept me hooked. It was a very well written story and the characters seem very real, strangely enough, so do the fairies! I liked it so much that I took it to college with me today so that I could finish it! The really pretty cover, doesn't help either, it just makes me want to stare at it all day!

I strongly recommend this novel as Michelle Harrison has written a brilliant debut which is probably why it won the Waterstone's Children's Award earlier this year. The sequel to The Thirteen Treasures will be out next year.

Oh, and if you want to know more about me, check out my interview with Steph Su on her blog.

Sophie

2 comments:

  1. Great review - I've been dying to hear more about this book!

    And I loved that interview, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph Su sent me :) This book sounds really interesting - thanks for featuring it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!