Thursday 12 January 2017

2017: Books I Want to Read this Year

As ever, I’m going into a brand new year with a heaving TBR that’s full of books I bought and was sent over the last year that I never got around to reading. My shelves are currently bursting with wonderful adult fiction that just also seemed to get pushed aside to make way for review books, but here are a few that I really want to make a priority in 2017.

The Princess Saves Herself in This One, Amanda Lovelace
This gorgeous little poetry collection has had a lot of love on Twitter, Instagram and Goodreads ever since it was self-published in April and was recommended for fans of Rupi Kaur’s Milk and Honey which I LOVED. Beyond ready for this.

It tackles grief, loss, loneliness, love, empowerment and an essense of the fairytale. Plus it's a poetry collection under 200 pages 0 it really won't take me long to read!


Warbreaker, Brandon Sanderson
I’ve fallen head over heels for Sanderson’s books in the last few years and I’m super excited to continue my journey through his backlist. Warbreaker tells the story of two princess sisters who live in a world where those who die in glory return as gods and a magic system based on breath - SOLD.

This is another chunky Sanderson though so it'll definitely take some working up to! But now I have a physical copy and the audiobook I really don't have an excuse not to get on with it...


The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
Donna Tartt’s most recent novel has been on my TBR since I devoured The Secret History in 2015 but it’s just intimidatingly long. Her previous two novels that sit around 500 pages, while readable and thoroughly enjoyable, took me a while to read so I can’t imagine how long it’ll take to wade through 800 pages! But I’m sure it’ll be 100% worth it. Donna Tartt is a legend.

I'm determined to conquer this, and it'll probably be via audiobook.


The Paying Guests, Sarah Waters
I devoured Sarah Waters’ first novel Fingersmith on a trip to Disneyland Paris last winter and I was blown away. I immediately bought her latest with the full intention of reading it straight away. Whoops. I’m a little fussy with my historical fiction but I already feel like Sarah Waters could do no wrong.

She has the elements of romance, mystery, thriller, historical and Gothic all mashed together beautifully. Oh, and the writing is stunning. And now I'm making myself desperate to read it...


The Gracekeepers, Kirsty Logan
This book was the darling of booktube for a long while and I got swept up by the hype and the beautiful cover and bought myself a copy. And it’s sat (beautifully) on my shelf ever since. Islands, circuses and magical realism basically sounds like a dream and I’m pretty sure I’m going to love it, but the hype does make me worry...

BUT I'll suck it up and give it a read. That many people can't be wrong, right? Right.


What are you determined to read in 2017?

Sophie

2 comments:

  1. I'm also a big fan of Brandon Sanderson - but I haven't read war breaker and it sounds pretty awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Every year I look at my shelves and lament at those I *still* haven't got round to.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!