Tuesday 17 January 2017

2017: 8 Classics I Want to Read in the Next Year

Though the classics reading challenge run by the wonderful Stacey of Pretty Books is not running this year, I’m still dedicated to continuing my exploration of classics this year. As I was so successful last year, I’m doubling the challenge for myself and aiming for 24 classics in 2017. These are a few on my hitlist:


The Russians



War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy


Oh yes, it’s happening. In fact as you read this (I’m pre-writing it at the end of December!) I should be three weeks into my epic War and Peace readathon. I’m planning on conquering seven chapters a day which comes out at about 40/50 pages which sounds totally doable. If all goes to plan I’ll have read the whole of the book around the 20th February.


Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky


Another chunker, but after War and Peace it should be a breeze! I tried to read one of Dostoevsky’s shorter works Notes from Underground last year but I couldn’t finish it. I’m hoping that his masterpiece will win me over more thoroughly. I’ve grabbed myself the paperback and the audiobook to keep me going on this one.


The Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov


Bulgakov’s masterpiece is the one that I think could be one of the best books I read this year, but it’ll definitely be the weirdest. Moscow is shaken up when chaos mysteriously descends. It soon becomes clear that the Devil himself has arrived in the city. It surrounds surreal, fun and completely brilliant - let’s hope it lives up to my expectations!


Eugene Onegin, Alexander Pushkin


This verse novel set in 1820s Russia is said to be one of the foundation works of Russian literature and Pushkin’s favourite work of his own. Telling the story of a world-weary dandy as he moves from St Petersburg to the country, Eugene Onegin finds himself amidst tragedy and satire of his own making. It just sounds fun which not much Russian literature actually does.


The Rest of the World




The Phantom of the Opera, Gaston Leroux


This suddenly popped onto my radar when The Phantom of the Opera became an Audible daily deal. I feel like the drama, mystery and romance will be totally up my street, especially as I’ve actually never seen the musical or read/seen any adaptations so I’ll be going in blind. I nabbed the audiobook and it sounds great.


Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson


I read and really enjoyed Jekyll and Hyde a few years back so I’m looking forward to reading more from Robert Louis Stevenson. I feel like Treasure Island is a book I should have read or at least been read as a kid, but if I did then I don’t remember it! I have seen the Muppets movie many, many times, however, so I know I like the story.


The Three Muskateers, Alexandre Dumas


Now, this one is a beast but I’ve heard the most wonderful things about Dumas’ epic adventures, particularly in the last year or so from the classics booktubers. I’m honestly not 100% sure what this is even about, I just know there’s sword-fighting, friendship and serious fun and that’s enough to make me want to tackle this 650 page monster.


House of Mirth, Edith Wharton


I read and loved Ethan Frome last year - I devoured it in one sitting! I knew I had to read more of Wharton’s stuff and House of Mirth is meant to be her best. It sees the beautiful Lily Bart reluctantly find a husband in New York and ultimately become ruined by scandal and I seriously can’t wait.

What's on your classics TBR for 2017?

Sophie

1 comment:

  1. It was a shame when I heard that Stacey wasn't doing the Classics challenge this year as this was the year I was going to join it :( But I have some children's classics I'm going to attempt to read this year, maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!