Tuesday 2 December 2014

Film Review: Guardians of the Galaxy




RELEASED: July 2014
RUNNING TIME: 121 mins
RATING: 12

CHRIS PRATT ~ Peter Quill
ZOE SALDANA ~ Gamora
DAVE BAUTISTA ~ Drax
VIN DIESEL ~ Groot
BRADLEY COOPER ~ Rocket
LEE PACE ~Ronan
KAREN GILLAN ~ Nebula
GLENN CLOSE ~ Nova Prime

WHAT’S IT ABOUT?
(from imdb.com)
After stealing a mysterious orb in the far reaches of outer space, Peter Quill from Earth, is now the main target of a manhunt led by the villain known as Ronan the Accuser. T help fight Ronan and his team and save the galaxy from his power, Quill creates a team of space heroes known as the “Guardians of the Galaxy” to save the world.

TRAILER

VERDICT
I loved Guardians of the Galaxy and I can’t believe I’ve only just seen it. Why did no one bully me into making time to see it in the cinema?!


This film is mind-blowing to look at. The sets, the graphics, the costumes, the ships, the aliens – gah, it’s all stunning. Everything looked so amazing that I really wish I could have seen it on the big screen, or at least a really massive TV so I could see the glory in more detail. Though the idea of a bunch of space criminals flying around the galaxy doing good deeds in slightly dodgy ways reminded me a little of Firefly, Guardians of the Galaxy was clearly a massive budget Marvel movie but with the humour, fantastic writing and charm as Whedon’s beloved series. 


In the recent parade of Marvel films, the humour seems to have leaked out a little. Or it’s at least not a huge part of the movie, but it definitely is in Guardians of the Galaxy. I was surprised by how much I laughed aloud – I don’t think a movie has made me laugh so much since Pitch Perfect! Chris Pratt delivers the perfect mix of arrogance, charm and sass in Peter Quill and I love him. Throw in his 80s pop culture references and I really am sold. It didn’t stop at the references though, the soundtrack was pure excellence with Cherry Bomb, I Want You Back and Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.  


I have been seeing gifs and quotes and stills about the awesome of Groot and Rocket for months and they definitely lived up to the hype. Racket was perhaps my favourite character aside from Peter – a blood-thirsty racoon who is worryingly comfortable with a gun – what more can you want?!

I adored Guardians of the Galaxy and I’ve wanted to re-watch it from the moment the credits started rolling. I smell a new favourite...

CINEMA|DVD|BORROW

Sophie

1 comment:

  1. I really want to see this. It looks so good and well... CHRIS PRATT! Haha! Got to wait till Christmas though! Boo! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!