Sunday 3 March 2013

In My Mailbox 148


This meme was started by Kristi of The Story Siren who was inspired by Alea from Pop Culture Junkie. Check out their blogs for more information. All summaries are from the book jackets unless otherwise stated.

 For review:

The Extincts – Veronica Cossanteli

George loves to help at Wormestall Farm, even though it’s full of extinctly scary creatures, like the dinosaurs in the duck pond. When Mortifer the giant basilisk goes missing, it’s up to George to find him before evil animal-stuffer Diamond Pye can add him to her collection...

I love the sound of this middle-grade debut. Thanks Chicken House!

Out of the Easy – Ruta Sepetys

Josie Moraine wants out of The Big Easy – she needs more than New Orleans can offer. Known locally as a brothel prostitute’s daughter, she dreams of life at an elite college, far away from here.

But then a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie caught between her ambition and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans is luring Josie deeper in as she searches for the truth, and temptation beckons at every turn.

Thanks Penguin! I’m not quite sure about this book, but my curiosity has been piqued.

Anatomy of a Single Girl – Daria Snadowsky

After everything that happened – my first boyfriend, my first time, my first breakup – jumping back into the dating game seemed like the least healthy thing I could do. It’s not that I didn't want to fall in love again, since that’s about the best feeling ever. But as a busy college premed still raw from heartbreak, which is the worst feeling ever, I figured I’d lie low for a while. Of course, as soon as I stopped looking from someone, an impossibly amazing – and devastatingly cute – guy came along, and I learned that having a new boyfriend is the quickest way to recover from losing your old one.

The moment we got together, all my preconceptions about romance and sex were turned upside down. I discovered physical and emotional firsts I never knew existed. I learned to let go of my past by living in the present. It was thrilling. It was hot. It was just what the doctor ordered.

But I couldn’t avoid my future forever.

I’m really hoping this can stand alone without me having read the first book! I had no idea there was one before it when I accepted it. Thanks Daria!

Gift:

Reason to Breathe – Rebecca Donovan

All she wants is to hide away, but love has found her...

In a town where people worry about what they’re seen in and who they’re seen with, Emma Thomas doesn’t want to be seen at all. She’s more concerned with feigning perfection – which means pulling down her sleeves to conceal the bruises. Emma doesn’t want anyone to know how far from perfect her life truly is.

But when Emma unexpectedly finds love it challenges her to recognise her own worth, at the risk of revealing the terrible secret she’s desperate to hide.

Thank you Anya!

Won:

Finale – Becca Fitzpatrick

Nora is more certain than ever that she’s in love with her fallen angel, Patch, despite her Nephilim heritage making them destined to be enemies. For her, there’s no turning her back on him. But now Nora and Patch must gather their strength to face one last trial. Old enemies and new are ranged against them, standing between them and the peace they so desperately crave. The battle lines are drawn – but which sides are they on?

I finally have the last book in the series. Thanks Emma!

Sophie 

13 comments:

  1. I have read Anatomy of a Single Girl.. did ya know it is kinda like a sequel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not until I got it. Do I need to have read the first one to get this one?

      Delete
  2. I've had Ruta Sepetys's previous book on my bookshelf for a while but I haven't read this one yet. I'm not a big fan of historical fiction so I'm not sure about this one either but I've read so many great reviews about it that I'm really intrigued. I hope it's going to be a pleasant surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good stuff about Ruta Septys' books and I must read them myself some time.
    Finale has been on my shelf since October and I still haven't got around to it, but I really hope you enjoy it. I'm a little nervous to start it. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the Easy is fantastic! I hope you enjoy it :)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG so I read "Anatomy of a Boyfriend" while I was a junior in high school (so like 5 years ago haha) and laughed sooooo hard!! We ended up passing that book around to a bunch of girls in the school! :) It was super fun!
    Great haul!
    Here's my IMM:
    http://romancebookie.blogspot.com/2013/03/imm-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You got "Out of The Easy"? That's awesome! I was refused a copy from Net Galley. I hope it's as amazing as it sounds!

    Here's my IMM:
    http://vanillamoonblog.com/2013/03/03/in-my-mailbox-5/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read Finale,I've had it for ages. I have so many trilogies that I still have to read the final book of. I think it's self protection because I don't want it to end, confirmed I think after to the PTSD Requiem caused me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that about "Anatomy" either! I've ordered the first book from my library but I wish they had publicized it more. I didn't find out it was a sequel until too late.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Out of the Easy looks really interesting. I love the cover. Happy reading!

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm dying to read Out of the Easy! Hope it's good! Happy reading!

    My IMM: http://dragongirl28.blogspot.com/2013/03/in-my-mailbox-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great haul! I haven't read any of the Hush Hush series. I plan on it eventually haha! Happy Reading!
    Brittany @ Spare Time Book blog
    My IMM: http://sparetimebookblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/in-my-mailbox-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'm going to have to change my mind about Out of the Easy as I want it now LOL

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!