Monday 2 November 2009

Swoon - Nina Malkin

Swoon - Nina Malkin

Pages: 421
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: 19th May 2009

Other Titles by this Author: 6X: The Uncensored Confessions, 6X: Loud, Fast and Out of Control, Orange is the New Pink, An Unlikely Cat Lady

Sin is coming…
Prepare to swoon.

Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut…until Dice’s perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. While Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She’s intensely drawn to him - but not at all crazy about the havoc he’s wreaking.

Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent - and irresistible - adversary before the whole town succumbs to Sin’s will. Only trouble is, she’s in love with him.

What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too bad to be true?

Swoon is a sexy, unique and captivating tale of the supernatural. I’ve never read anything like it.

The plot of Swoon is extremely complex and original. It draws on Jewish folklore, uses stories from 18th century life and throws them into the world of a lost American girl. At some points there was so much going on and lots of threads from different parts of Swoon that I got a little confused. I’d occasionally have to read back over a few paragraphs to figure out what was going on.

I also felt that the romance between Sin and Dice was very rushed. Dice fell deeply in love with him after very few brief meetings, it was a bit unrealistic. To be honest, I don’t really understand what she saw in him. I like a bad boy as much as the next girl, but other than his gorgeousness, he didn’t really have very many redeeming qualities. He was manipulative, slimy and pretty horrible until the last few chapters. I like my bad boys to have hidden goodness so Sin just didn’t do it for me!

But with all of the problems that I had with Swoon, I really liked the ending. Dice and Sin got closure, most of the other characters had their problems resolved and the town of Swoon had been changed forever. To me, it felt like all of the loose threads were tied up and that the ending suited the characters perfectly.

Swoon is a very strange, yet compelling, read that is definitely different from lots of supernatural fiction out there. The sensuality of Swoon, however, may make some readers uncomfortable.

Sophie

8 comments:

  1. Excellent review! I love the sound of the complex plot, and it's interesting to read such a mixed and honest review. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your review. I'm in two minds as to whether I will like this. On the face of it, I think I would but it is reall annoying when books make love so unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this soon too, it sounds so good and different. And the cover is so eye-catching! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds pretty quirky. I'll probably check it out just because it sounds like I won't have read anything else quite like it, which is always interesting. Great review, and I totally understand what you mean about characters falling in love too quickly. It's one of my pet peeves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated this book with a passion. The characters were so flat and uninteresting. Not to mention the x-rated material :-0 I couldn't get through it, so maybe the ending was good, but still. I dislike Sin, nevertheless. He came off as a creep. :-/
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting. Great review! I think Swoon looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I've been wanting to read this one for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great review! I've read mixed reviews on Swoon. I'm still undecided on whether or not I want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!