Friday 30 October 2009

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

Pages: 434
Publisher: Scholastic
Release Date: 5th October 2009

Other Titles by This Author: Lament: The Faerie Queen‘s Deception, Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie

The pack circled around me, tongues and teeth and growls.

When a local boy is killed by wolves, Grace’s small town becomes a place of fear and suspicion. But Grace can’t help being fascinated by the pack, and by one yellow-eyed wolf in particular. There’s something about him - something almost human.

Then she meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away…

A chilling love story that will have you hooked from the very first page.

I absolutely loved Shiver. It’s lyrical, beautifully written and drew me in from the very first page.

The relationship between Sam and Grace was sweet and believable. It moved at apace that fit with the restraints that were put on the story by Sam’s nature. The lyrical way that Maggie Stiefvater writes pulled me into the story and I connected with Sam and Grace instantly and Mercy Falls was also described so vividly that I could picture exactly where Sam and Grace were standing.

As those of you who read my blog regularly will know; I love books written in split narrative. Grace is a strong and likeable character and I loved reading how Sam’s view of her compared to her own. And Sam, well, what to say about him? I love him? He’s gorgeous? He’s perfect for Grace? I really liked how Maggie Stiefvater gave him such depth; there was more to him than just being a werewolf.

I don’ know that many different versions werewolf lore, but I think that Shiver’s lore is particularly clever. Being a supernatural creature usually enhances and extends life in YA fiction, but not in the case of the wolves of Mercy Falls. The control of temperature and the differences between wolf Sam and human Sam made Shiver truly individual.

I loved reading Shiver, even when it made me cry, and I can’t wait to find out what happens to Grace and Sam in Linger.

Sophie

I'd also like to say a huge thank you to everyone who follows me as I've now reached 200 followers. So thank you to all my followers and everyone who comments on my posts.

13 comments:

  1. Big congrats on 200 followers, and glad you enjoyed Shiver! Great review, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review, Sophie. Shiver is an amazing book and I agree the split narrative is really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank YOU! I love your reviews so much. This was a fantastic review and the book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on having 200 followers ^^ and thanks for the nice review. I'm really looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this book it sounds amazing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. How would you rate this in terms of profanity? Is there a lot? A little? None?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enna - Umm...I don't really remember. I think there was a little, but not so much that it stuck in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurray! I think I'm going to buy this, then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review! I am dying to read Shiver. Congrats on 200!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good review!
    My gosh, there's just SO many books I need to buy, including this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly wonderful review. I can't think of many books as beautiful as this one. And yep, the believability of Sam and Grace's relationship was something I loved about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds fabulous. I have it on my shelf and think I'll read it next after reading your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on 200 followers! And thanks for running such a great blog to follow!

    Shiver sounds like an enjoyable read and I've heard good things about it. Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!