Monday 8 June 2009

The Sweet Far Thing - Libba Bray

The Sweet Far Thing - Libba Bray

Pages: 819
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Release Date: 5th May 2009

Other Titles in the Series: A Great and Terrible Beauty (my review), Rebel Angels (my review)

It has been a year since Gemma Doyle first arrived at the foreboding Spence Academy and much has changed. Having bound the wild, dark magic of the realms to her, Gemma has forged unlikely and unexpected friendships with Ann and Felicity, and Kartik, the exotic young man whose companionship is forbidden. She has also come to an uneasy, tenuous truce with the fearsome creatures of the realms.

But the time has come to test the strength of these bonds. As her friendship with Felicity and Ann faces its gravest trial and with the Order grappling for control of the realms, Gemma is compelled to decide once and for all which path she is meant to take. Her destiny threatens to set chaos loose, not only in the realms, but also upon the rigid Victorian society whose rules Gemma both defied and followed. Where does Gemma really belong? And will she, can she, survive?

The Sweet Far Thing is the thrilling conclusion to Libba Bray’s elegant gothic trilogy.

The Sweet Far Thing is the very long conclusion to the Gemma Doyle trilogy. It is the best and most exciting of the three in my opinion, although I did find it slow to start.

After the first hundred pages or so, I became completely absorbed in Gemma’s story. I found this one full of funny one liners and lots of little situations that made me laugh, especially those involving Tom and Gemma. Their banter and constant trading of insults often had me giggling to myself.

The supporting characters were all very different and I didn‘t like very many of them. There was something about Felicity that put me on edge, I hated the way that Pippa manipulated Gemma’s emotions and I just found Cecily and Ann irritating. Though for different reasons. Ann refused to do anything to improve her situation but just moaned about it and Cecily was whiny and far too perfect. So annoying. Kartik, however, I love. He’s kind, sweet and protective, but also stubborn and strong. I only wish that Victorian society would have allowed them to be together, or even just friends.

Gemma was my favourite part of The Sweet Far Thing. She’s brave, strong and ready to take on the world but also very vulnerable. Her vulnerability comes from all of the outside threats to her life and magic as well as her overwhelming desire to fit in and be loved. All of these conflicting emotions made her a very real teenage girl whom almost every girl could identify with. I love how she overcame the restraints of Victorian society to become her own woman, knowing that it wouldn’t be easy.

This is a great trilogy full of magic, mystery, romance and adventure that will appeal to fans of Maria V. Snyder.

Sophie

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant review matey! I really need to read these books. This one looks HUGE, I think my copy is 800 and odd pages. Eek!

    I've heard loads about this Kartik guy... I think I'll have to check him out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, brilliant review - thanks! I saw that you were reading this and I was dying to know what you thought of it. I haven't read it but I've had it recommended to me many times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally loved this series! Great review! x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant review. I really want to read something by Libba Bray. I think I may live in the library in summer :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I will have to check out this trilogy(once my TBR pile is a bit smaller).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the characters being slightly annoying to Gemma, but that's what makes it so good. I sobbed for a month after finishing this. In class, in choir. Teachers had to make sure I was okay. I loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message, I'd love to hear from you!